The Plaza of Nations used to be a venue for a weekly beer garden and live bands. Although cancelled in 2016, other similar events still exist in Vancouver.
Summer Food Truck Festival
Again, unfortunately, as of 2016, the Plaza of Nations Concerts are NO LONGER RUNNING.
Metro Vancouver Night Markets
If you like night markets, check out the Shipyard Night Market in North Vancouver on Fridays, which is similar to the Plaza of Nations Concert events with its music, but with more of a market. Also check out one of the larger and more Asian-style Night Markets in Richmond which run Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings all summer, or the Surrey Night Market which runs on weekends from June until mid-August.
Other Free Summer Music Venues
Other venues with good free concerts include the following:
- Most days in the second half of June at various locations during the TD Vancouver International Jazz Festival.
- Monday evenings in July and August at different parks in Surrey as part of that city’s Sounds of Summer Music Series.
- Friday evenings in July and August in Edgemont Village, Lynn Valley and Deep Cove as part of North Vancouver Summer Concert Series.
- Friday evenings from early May to late September at the Shipyard Night Market in North Vancouver.
- Nightly in late August and early September at the Pacific National Exhibition (PNE), where the concerts are included with the cost of admission to the fair.
For a more complete list of the best places to find free live music in the Lower Mainland in the summer, check out our Free Outdoor Music page.