Thousands of Latin Americans have made Metro Vancouver their home, and among them are some fantastic chefs and owners of top Vancouver restaurants.
RESTAURANTS CLOSED FOR INDOOR SERVICE
Between March 30th and April 19th no restaurants in BC can offer indoor dining services. Takeout and delivery are possible, as is outdoor patio service. For venues without an outdoor patio, however, the only options are to either close completely temporarily or just offer meals to go.
Mexican and other Latin American Restaurants
Below are some of the best Latin American restaurants in the Lower Mainland, including some specializing in Bolivian, Peruvian, Mexican and Salvadorian cuisine.
Restaurants in the City of Vancouver
- Bandidas Taqueria – a Mexican restaurant at 2781 Commercial Drive that also has a roving food truck.
- Cuchillo – at 261 Powell Street, it’s not in the best part of town, but its food makes it worth the visit.
- Havana – a Cuban-themed restaurant at 1212 Commercial Drive in Vancouver with its own mini theatre in the back.
- La Casita – a Mexican restaurant at 101 West Cordova Street in Vancouver’s Gastown.
- La Mezcaleria – at 1622 on Commercial Drive, it specializes in small batch tequilas and mezcal. There is also a location at 68 East Cordova in Gastown.
- Las Margaritas – a popular Mexican restaurant in the Kitsilano region of Vancouver at 1999 West 4th Avenue. Their style of Mexican cooking is from northern Mexico, the Baja and California.
- La Taqueria – at 322 West Hastings, it offers great authentic Mexican tacos. It’s not a fancy place by any means, and it’s not in an exceptional neighbourhood, but it’s close to Gastown and serves great food. They also have a number of other locations including at 2549 Cambie Street a block from Broadway, and another in North Vancouver at 1305 Welch Street not far from the Spirit Trail.
- Rinconcito Salvadoreño – a popular Mexican and Salvadorian restaurant at 2062 Commercial Drive that’s famous for its papusas.
- Salsa & Agave – a Mexican place located at 1205 Pacific Boulevard in Yaletown.
- Silvestre Gusto Latino – a popular little deli and bistro in Gastown at 317 Water Street. They serve good sandwiches, Peruvian food and Italian gelato. If you ask them they’ll tell you they serve the best Peruvian food in town.
- Tacofino – a popular Mexican-style taco bar at 15 West Cordova Street in Gastown.
- The Mexican Antojitos y Cantina – at 1049 Granville Street in the heart of Vancouver’s main entertainment district is one of the city’s best Mexican restaurants.
Restaurants Elsewhere in Metro Vancouver
- Cinco de Mayo – a small Mexican restaurant at 200 West Esplanade Avenue in the Lower Lonsdale District of North Vancouver. (Closed temporarily.)
- Don Fito’s – a Mexican and Salvadorian restaurant at 22356 Lougheed Highway in Maple Ridge
Other articles that might be of interest include the following:
- Vancouver’s Festivals & Events
- Vancouver Shows & Entertainment
- Metro Vancouver’s Top 100 Places
- What’s Happening This Weekend
Vancouver Latin-themed events that you might be interested in include the following:
- Cinco de Mayo (with various events during the week of May 5th)
- Carnaval del Sol (in July or August)
- Colombian Independence Picnic (a small free community event in July or August)
- Día de las Velitas (a Colombian Christmas event in December)
For lists of recommended restaurants (of all different kinds) in other parts of the Lower Mainland, check out the following:
- BURNABY‘s Best Restaurants
- NORTH VANCOUVER‘s Best Bars & Restaurants
- RICHMOND‘s Best Bars & Restaurants
- SURREY‘s Best Restaurants
- WEST VANCOUVER‘s Best Restaurants