St. Stephen’s is an Anglican church in West Vancouver that hosts a free Jazz Vespers service on the first Sunday of the month.
The events are by donation, attract big-name local Jazz musicians, and, assuming you like Jazz, are highly recommended.
Jazz at St. Stephen’s Anglican Church
Jazz Vespers services take place at various locations around the Lower Mainland. At Stephen’s they take place at 4:00 pm, once a month every month, except for in August and September. The services run for about an hour, there is a very light spiritual message, and there’s lots of great Jazz.
For a list of other places offering similar events, click Jazz Vespers in Metro Vancouver.
Where is St. Stephen’s?
St. Stephen’s Anglican Church is located at 885–22nd Street. It’s just a short distance north of West Vancouver’s seawall at a point about halfway between Dundarave and John Lawson Park. The church is also just a 2-minute walk north of the West Van Aquatic Centre.
St. Stephen’s 2019 Jazz Schedule
The following is the list of Jazz Vespers’ services for 2019. (Note: Event dates, guest performers and other details are subject to change.)
- Sunday, January 6, 2019 – with The Ron Johnston Quartet and international Jazz legend Ada Lee (who is in her nineties and has performed with Duke Ellington and other Jazz greats).
- Sunday, February 3, 2019 – with the Don Stewart Quartet.
- Sunday, March 3, 2019 – with the Nick Apivor Band.
- Sunday, April 7, 2019 – with Kristian Braathen and Steve Maddock.
- Sunday, May 5, 2019 – with the Jazz Connexion Band.
- Sunday, June 2, 2019 – with the Original Blend.
- Sunday, July 7, 2019 – with Peter & the Wolves.
- Sunday, October 6, 2019 – with the Doreen Bender Trio.
- Sunday, November 3, 2019 – Band details to be confirmed.
- Sunday, December 8, 2019 – with the Mighty Fraser Big Band.
Tips and Advice
Below are some tips and suggestions to help you make the most out of your Jazz Vespers experience in West Vancouver.
TIP #1: You don’t have to be Anglican or even Christian to appreciate the Jazz at this event. All are welcome.
TIP #2: Admission is by donation (and funds collected help reimburse the band for their time and talents). Give generously if you can (but don’t let a lack of money stop you from going).
TIP #3: In winter, if the weather is good, arrive early and go for a walk along the waterfront. It’s a beautiful place for a stroll! And in warmer and sunnier months, do the same, but either before or after the show.
TIP #4: St. Stephen’s is just a few steps from the West Vancouver Aquatic Centre which has one of the Lower Mainland’s best swimming facilities for children. It has a large pool for swimming lengths, a giant pool with a river current for kids, diving boards, a water slide, hot tub, steam room and sauna. Go there yourself either before or after the show (swim schedules permitting).
TIP #5: If you have children who don’t want to listen to Jazz and are old enough to swim on their own (i.e., around age 8+), drop the kids off at the Aquatic Centre and then pick them up at the end. Just be sure to check the public swim schedule first to make sure the times fit.
For more information about the Jazz Vespers events in West Vancouver see the St. Stephen’s Anglican Church website.
For a list of other similar services at other venues (including in Vancouver and Surrey) click Jazz Vespers in Metro Vancouver.
For ideas on other things to do either before or after the Jazz at St. Stephen’s check out our articles about the following:
Other articles you might be interested in include the following:
- Vancouver’s Festivals & Events Calendar
- Shows & Entertainment Calendar
- Entertainment in Vancouver
- Vancouver’s Top 100 Places
- Vancouver Rainy Day Activities