Lunarfest Vancouver is an annual festival that takes place around Chinese New Year each year and includes family-friendly activities and entertainment.
The event is inclusive to all cultures and celebrates the Lunar New Year in general, so not specifically the Chinese New Year (although they take place at the same time).
Lunarfest Vancouver 2019
In 2019 Lunarfest activities take place at the following places and times:
- Oakridge Centre (January 29 – February 19, 2019): The Galleria of Imperial Inspirations
- Queen Elizabeth Theatre (February 3, 2019): The New Butterfly Lovers
- The Centre (February 9, 2019): An accident of Love Musical
- Vancouver Art Gallery Plaza (February 9 & 10, 2019): LunarFest Celebrations from 11:00 am until 6:00 pm
- Coastal Lunar Lanterns (January 29 to February 18, 2019): an installation of Coast Salish and Taiwanese-designed lanterns that are illuminated nightly at Jack Poole Plaza until 11:00 pm.
The shows at the Centre and Queen Elizabeth Theatre are both ticketed. The other three are free.
The New Butterfly Lovers is a contemporary ballet about a famous Chinese folk tale with tickets starting at around $40. An accident of Love Musical is an adaptation of the 1980’s movie “Papa, Can You Hear Me Sing” from Taiwan. The film is in Chinese and tickets for it start at $58.
2019 Lunarfest Dates & Locations
In 2019 the main Lunarfest activities take place in the plaza outside the Vancouver Art Gallery. Minor activities also occur at Oakridge Centre.
Oakridge Centre Mall Venue
Lunarfest takes place at Oakridge Centre from January 29 to February 19, 2019. The upscale mall is located at 650 West 41st Avenue which is at the corner of Cambie Street and 41st.
Most of the event at Oakridge Centre is very low key, consisting primarily of displays of Chinese art and craft activities. At the event there is also a virtual reality exhibit.
Other special events at Oakridge Centre include the following:
- Saturday, February 9, 2019 – Chinese Celebrations with a Lion Dance from 10:00 until 10:45 am
- Sunday, February 10, 2019 – Year of the Pig Celebrations with Meet & Greet opportunities with Peppa Pig at 1:00, 2:00 and 3:00 pm
- Saturday, February 16, 2019 – Korean Celebrations from noon until 4:00 pm. Activities include Korean drumming and dance performances as well as Korean pottery demonstrations and crafts.
- Sunday, February 17, 2019 – Vietnamese Celebrations from noon until 4:00 pm. Activities include singing and dance performances as well as craft-making opportunities.
Vancouver Art Gallery Plaza Venue
In 2019 the main family-friendly Lunarfest celebrations take place outdoors in the Plaza outside the Vancouver Art Gallery on Georgia Street between Howe and Hornby on the weekend of February 9th & 10th.
The February 9-10 event runs from about 11:00 am until 6:00 pm on both days. Activities include crafts, fortune telling, live entertainment and various other activities.
Lunarfest outside the Vancouver Art Gallery is a fairly small and simple festival-type-of-event, but free and interesting for young children and their families.
For further details click Lunarfest in the Art Gallery Plaza.
For more information about the event in general, click Vancouver Lunarfest.
For other “Year of the Pig” events in Metro Vancouver, click Chinese New Year Celebrations.