Vancouver’s Monsoon Festival
The Monsoon Festival of Performing Arts is an annual event put together by the South Asian Arts Society.
Each year, India goes through a monsoon season which mostly consists of heavy rainfall. Although the extreme weather conditions can be destructive at times, the people of India celebrate the season with joyous festivities.
Drawing inspiration from these overseas traditions, along with Vancouver’s rainy reputation, organizers of the local Monsoon Festival present a variety of South Asian performances and events in the Lower Mainland.
At the festival in a typical year, there are a number of ticketed performances as well as an Industry Series of free readings, workshops and more. The performances and in-person activities happen at a variety of venues in Vancouver and Surrey. Locations include the Vancouver Art Gallery, Surrey Arts Centre, York Theatre, and Playwrights Theatre Centre.
FORT LANGLEY JAZZ
If you like art and music festivals then also be sure to check out the Odlum Brown Fort Langley Jazz & Arts Festival. It takes place with both online and in-person events on the Labour Day Long Weekend of September 2nd to 5th in 2021.
2021 Festival Details
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Monsoon Arts Festival took place in a digital format last year. This is the plan for 2021 as well. The sixth annual Monsoon Festival of Performing Arts happens online from August 1st to 31st in 2021.
The festival this year includes several different types of events. An online marketplace runs for the entire month and features the works of five artists. In addition, Murals in the Market is a meaningful display of public art at Vancouver’s Punjabi Market starting on August 10th.
Schedule of Digital Events
The 2021 Monsoon Festival offers online dance lessons and workshops on a weekly basis, along with a couple of other special events. Activities listed below are free to attend. Donations are encouraged, however, and advanced registration may be required.
Note: Event details below are subject to change. Visit the official Monsoon Festival website for the most up-to-date list of activities.
Sunday, August 1st
- Bollywood Dance with Karima Essa – a dance lesson from 9 to 10 am via Zoom.
Wednesday, August 4th
- Music Review and Release Strategies with IshQ Bector – a workshop on Zoom from 5 to 6 pm.
Sunday, August 8th
- Bhangra with Vancity Dance – dance lessons on Zoom from 9 to 10 am.
Wednesday, August 11th
- The Score: Sound Design and Composition for Theatre and Film with Ruby Singh – a workshop on Zoom from 5 to 6 pm.
Sunday, August 15th
- Gidha with NachiYay – a dance session from 9 am to 10 am on Zoom.
- Monsoon Music Night – a musical performance with sounds from around the world happens on YouTube and Facebook from 5 to 5:30 pm.
Wednesday, August 18th
- Freeing Your Character: Script Analysis for Actors with Adele Noronha – a workshop available on Zoom from 5 to 6 pm.
Sunday, August 22nd
- Song and Dance with Krystal Kiran – dance lessons from 9 to 10 am on Zoom.
- Monsoon Talks: Artist Panel Discussion – a live discussion with the artists of the Murals in the Market project takes place from 5 to 6:30 pm.
For more information about the 2021 Monsoon Festival and to reserve your spot, visit the Monsoon Arts Festival website.
Other articles that may be of interest include the following:
- Vancouver’s August Calendar
- Festivals and Events in Vancouver
- Vancouver on a Budget
- Best Places for History and Culture
- Vancouver 5X Festival
- Vancouver Indian Summer Festival