The Squamish Wind Festival is a community event in July that features concerts, art displays, the performing arts, an outdoor movie and other activities.
July Wind Festival in Squamish
The Squamish Wind Festival for the Arts is an annual event with a focus on both visual and performing arts. In 2019 it takes place on the Thursday, Friday and Saturday of July 18-20.
At the festival there is usually a free outdoor movie on one night, a farmers market on the Saturday, and live music, a beer garden and a food truck hub at various times throughout the weekend. In previous years there were also water and wind sport demonstrations, but not since 2016.
This article includes the following information:
Click any of the above links to jump to a specific topic, or continue reading to learn all about the Squamish Wind Festival.
Where and When
The three-day Squamish Wind Festival usually takes place on the last Thursday, Friday and Saturday in July in the town of Squamish which is located 45 minutes from Vancouver along the Sea to Sky Highway.
In 2019 the festival runs a week earlier than normal, so from Thursday, July 18, until Saturday, July 20.
The festival venue is primarily around Cleveland Avenue in downtown Squamish between Victoria Street and Main Street and Junction Park.
Known as the “Outdoor Recreation Capital of the World,” Squamish is home to some of the region’s premier outdoor recreation venues, including Stawamus Chief Mountain (for hiking), the Sea to Sky Gondola, and Squamish Spit (for kite boarding).
Wind Festival All-Day Events
Below are some of the highlights of the Squamish Wind Festival from 2018. 2019 details will be similar.
On Thursday, July 26, 2018
- 7:00 to 9:00 pm: Emerging Artists Concert Series – performances by up-and-coming musicians from the region take place at Junction Park in downtown Squamish. You’ll also be able to buy a delicious meal from one of the food trucks on site.
On Friday, July 27, 2018
- 6:00 to 11:30 pm: Movie Under the Stars – Enjoy bouncy castles, games and other family friendly activities until the movie starts around 9:30 at Junction Park. Black Panther is the feature film for 2018!
On Saturday, July 28, 2018
- 10:00 am to 3:00 pm: Squamish Farmers Market – artisan and farmers market vendor stalls in downtown Squamish.
- 10:00 am to 3:00 pm: Enjoy an artisan market at the main entrance to Junction Park or watch live painting at the Arts Council Building nearby. Other activities in and around Junction Park include face painting and balloon sculpting, axe throwing and buskers – not to mention the food trucks.
- 10:00 am to 3:00 pm: Art workshops and activities: Enjoy watching a live carving demonstration by Xwalactun or pre-register for a “mimosas and mosaics” workshop or a screen printing workshop (bring your own T-shirt). There will also be craft workshops for the little ones. Bring your imaginations!
Main Stage Saturday Entertainment
Great local artists are featured on the Main Stage from 10:00 am until about 2:30 pm on the Saturday. Entertainers in 2018 included the following (and the 2019 lineup will be comparable):
- 10:00 am – Ira Pettle – groovy entertainment for the whole family
- 10:55 am – Travis Bernhardt – Vancouver based award winning magician
- 11:45 am – John Welsh & Los Valientes – World Music Artist of the Year 2018 nominee, blending Latin, West African and Reggae sounds
- 1:00 pm – Hey Ocean! – a truly pacific coast musical experience
See the Squamish Wind Festival website for more details about this fun cultural event in Squamish.