Fan Expo Vancouver is a superhero and comic trade show at the Vancouver Convention Centre. It’s like a Vancouver version of San Diego’s Comic-Con.
In 2020 it ran from February 15th to 17th. The 2021 event was supposed to take place in February; however, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it has been postponed to June 25th, 26th and 27th.
Fan Expo Vancouver 2021
Fan Expo is a convention where superhero fanatics get to dress in costume, stock up on DC and Marvel comics, buy superhero collectibles, and meet their favourite science fiction and superhero actors.
Where and When
Fan Expo Vancouver happens at the Vancouver Convention Centre. In some years it has taken place in mid-October. In 2019 it was on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday of March 1st to 3rd.
The 2020 event took place on the weekend of February 15th to 17th (which also happens to be the Family Day Long Weekend). It was supposed to again take place on the Family Day Weekend in 2021, however, restrictions imposed by the ongoing spread of the coronavirus pandemic have forced the event to be postponed until June 25th, 26th and 27th.
The event in 2020 ran from 10 am until 7 pm on the Saturday, from 10 am until 5 pm on the Sunday and from 10 am to 5 pm on the Monday as well. Hours are scheduled to be the same in 2021.
Fan Expo Admission
Tickets to Fan Expo Vancouver vary in cost depending on when you go and how you buy your tickets.
One-day passes start at about $30 for adults and $10 for kids (ages 6-12). Three-day passes start at about $65 and family passes for a single day for 2 adults and up to 4 children start at around $65.
Kids’ passes are always $10, regardless of when you buy them (although online service charges do apply.) For adults though, tickets are cheapest on the Monday, most expensive on the Saturday, and around $5 or so extra when purchased at the gate.
Below were posted prices as of January 31st, 2020, for tickets purchased online. (Note: Prices and conditions are subject to change.) 2021 details will likely be comparable.
- Children (ages 6-12): $10
- Adults (ages 13+)
- Saturday Passes: $45
- Sunday Passes: $40
- Monday Passes: $35
- Families (of 2 adults and up to 4 children)
- Saturday Passes: $95
- Sunday Passes: $85
- Monday Passes: $75
- 3-Day Passes: $89
For reference, below is the summary of 2019 Fan Expo general admission ticket rates (which were the same prices as they were the year before for adults and children, but slightly more for families). As you can see, prices have gone up since previous years.
- Children (ages 6-12): $10 online and at the gate
- Adults (ages 13+)
- Friday Passes: $30 online and $35 at the gate
- Saturday Passes: $40 online and $45 at the gate
- Sunday Passes: $35 online and $40 at the gate
- Families (of 2 adults and up to 4 children)
- Friday Passes: $65 online and $75 at the gate
- Saturday Passes: $85 online and n/a at the gate
- Sunday Passes: $75 online and $85 at the gate
- 3-Day Passes: $79 online and $89 at the gate
Tips & Important Things to Know
Below are some things to know regarding admission policies and ticket prices.
- Taxes and online fees are extra.
- All sales are final and tickets are non-transferable.
- Don’t buy a three-day pass for children as three single-day tickets for kids costs half the price of a regular adult three-day pass.
- In 2019 if you bought a child pass the child received the same show access as their accompanying adult’s adult pass. Consequently, if the adult bought a three-day pass, the child’s pass was also valid for all three days (so don’t buy three child day passes for the same child). 2021 may or may not be the same.
- Note that family passes were not available on the Saturday at the gate in 2019 – they could only be purchased for that day online. Again, 2021 may or may not be the same.
What to Expect
At Fan Expo Vancouver you can expect to see lots of convention goers in costume. There are Star Wars characters and superheroes everywhere! You can also expect to see thousands of predominantly younger adult male attendees who love everything from superhero comics to Star Trek, Japanese anime, science fiction and other forms of pop culture.
Women, families and people of all ages also attend Fan Expo, but the prime target audience is definitely male. Big Bang Theory sitcom characters Sheldon, Leonard, Howard and Raj would love the event!
At the convention there are celebrity photo and autograph opportunities, special Star Wars events, Q & A panel discussions, workshops, seminars and even Geek Speed Dating sessions. There are also, of course, vendors selling everything from comics to costumes, action hero figurines, posters, souvenir clothing and game supplies.
Every year Fan Expo features a number of special guests. Typically they are science fiction and action movie actors. They participate in talks and are available for photos and autographs. Some are at the event all weekend at various times, but others for only one or two days.
Special guests appearing at the event in recent years are listed below. (Note: Guests and days scheduled to appear are subject to change. See the official Fan Expo website for the most up-to-date details).
- Billy Dee Williams (Lando Calrissian) – from Star Wars (appearing Friday, Saturday and Sunday).
- George Takei (Hikaru Sulu) – from Star Trek (appearing Saturday).
- Cary Elwes (Westley) – from The Princess Bride (appearing Saturday and Sunday).
- Wallace Shawn (Vizzini) – from The Princess Bride (appearing Friday, Saturday and Sunday).
- Pamela Anderson (Casey Jean “C.J.” Parker) – from Baywatch (appearing Saturday and Sunday).
- David Mazouz (the young Bruce Wayne) – from Gotham (appearing Saturday and Sunday).
- Sean Pertwee (Alfred Pennyworth) – from Gotham (appearing Saturday and Sunday).
- Pom Klementieff (Mantis) – from Guardians of the Galaxy (appearing Saturday and Sunday).
- Tom Cavanagh (Dr. Wells) – from The Flash (appearing Saturday).
- Carlos Valdes (Cisco) – from The Flash (appearing Saturday).
- Robbie Amell (Ronnie Raymond/Firestorm) – from The Flash (appearing Saturday).
- Hartley Sawyer (Ralph Dibny) – from The Flash (appearing Saturday).
- Danielle Nicolet (Cecille Horton) – from The Flash (appearing Saturday).
- Juliana Harkavy (Dinah Drake/Black Canary) – from Arrow (appearing Sunday).
(Note: Dates and guest personalities are subject to change.)
For more information about the event see the Vancouver Fan Expo website.
For ideas about other things to do in the Lower Mainland check out the following:
- Vancouver’s February Calendar
- Vancouver on the Family Day Long Weekend
- Vancouver’s October Calendar
- Festivals & Events
- Halloween Events in the Lower Mainland
- Halloween Haunted Houses