Fan Expo Vancouver is a superhero and comic trade show at the Vancouver Convention Centre. It’s like a Vancouver version of San Diego’s Comic-Con.
In 2018 it took place on the weekend of October 12th to 14th. In 2019 it runs from March 1st to 3rd.
Fan Expo Vancouver 2019
Fan Expo is a convention where superhero fanatics get to dress in costume, stock up on DC and Marvel comics, buy superhero collectibles, and meet their favourite science fiction and superhero actors.
Where and When
Fan Expo Vancouver happens at the Vancouver Convention Centre. In recent years it has taken place in mid-October. In 2019, however, it’s on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday of March 1st to 3rd.
The event runs from 4 until 9 pm on the Friday, from 10 am until 7 pm on the Saturday, and from 10 am until 5 pm on the Sunday.
The Vancouver Convention Centre is located at 1055 Canada Place in downtown Vancouver and the event happens in the West Building in Halls B and C.
Fan Expo Admission
Tickets to Fan Expo Vancouver vary in cost depending on when you go and how you buy your tickets.
1-Day Passes start at $30 for adults and $10 for kids (ages 6-12). 3-Day Passes start at $79 and Family Passes for a single day for 2 adults and up to 4 children start at $65.
Kids’ passes are always $10, regardless of when you buy them (although online service charges do apply.) For adults though, tickets are cheapest on the Friday, most expensive on the Saturday, and around $5 or so extra when purchased at the gate.
Below is the summary of 2019 Fan Expo general admission ticket prices (which are the same as they were last year for adults and children, but slightly more for families).
(Note: Prices and conditions are subject to change.)
- Children (ages 6-12): $10 online and at the gate
- Adults (ages 13+)
- Friday Passes: $30 online and $35 at the gate
- Saturday Passes: $40 online and $45 at the gate
- Sunday Passes: $35 online and $40 at the gate
- Families (of 2 adults and up to 4 children)
- Friday Passes: $65 online and $75 at the gate
- Saturday Passes: $85 online and n/a at the gate
- Sunday Passes: $75 online and $85 at the gate
- 3-Day Passes: $79 online and $89 at the gate
Tips & Important Things to Know
Below are some things to know regarding admission policies and ticket prices.
- Taxes and online fees are extra.
- All sales are final and tickets are non-transferable.
- Don’t buy a 3-Day Pass for children as three single-day tickets for kids costs half the price.
- If you buy a Child Pass the child receives the same show access as their accompanying adult’s Adult Pass. Consequently, if the adult buys a 3-day pass, the child’s pass is also valid for all three days (so don’t buy three child day passes for the same child).
- Note that Family Passes are not available on the Saturday at the gate – they can only be purchased for that day online.
What to Expect
At Fan Expo Vancouver you can expect to see lots of convention goers in costume. There are Star Wars characters and superheroes everywhere! You can also expect to see thousands of predominantly younger adult male attendees who love everything from superhero comics to Star Trek, Japanese anime, science fiction and other forms of pop culture.
Women, families and people of all ages also attend Fan Expo, but the prime target audience is definitely male. Big Bang Theory sitcom characters Sheldon, Leonard, Howard and Raj would love the event!
At the convention there are celebrity photo and autograph opportunities, special Star Wars events, Q & A panel discussions, workshops, seminars and even Geek Speed Dating sessions. There are also, of course, vendors selling everything from comics to costumes, action hero figurines, posters, souvenir clothing and game supplies.
Every year Fan Expo features a number of special guests. Typically they are science fiction and action movie actors. They participate in talks and are available for photos and autographs. Some are at the event all weekend at various times, but others for only one or two days.
Some of the special guests appearing last year included the following:
- Jason David Frank – from Power Rangers
- Katee Sackhoff – from Battlestar Galactica
- Lou Ferrigno – from the Incredible Hulk
- Pom Klementieff – from Guardians of the Galaxy
- Wil Wheaton – from Star Trek
Special guests appearing at the event in March 2019 are listed below. (Note: Guests and days scheduled to appear are subject to change. See the official Fan Expo website for the most up-to-date details).
- Billy Dee Williams (Lando Calrissian) – from Star Wars (appearing Friday, Saturday and Sunday).
- George Takei (Hikaru Sulu) – from Star Trek (appearing Saturday).
- Cary Elwes (Westley) – from The Princess Bride (appearing Saturday and Sunday).
- Wallace Shawn (Vizzini) – from The Princess Bride (appearing Friday, Saturday and Sunday).
- Pamela Anderson (Casey Jean “C.J.” Parker) – from Baywatch (appearing Saturday and Sunday).
- David Mazouz (the young Bruce Wayne) – from Gotham (appearing Saturday and Sunday).
- Sean Pertwee (Alfred Pennyworth) – from Gotham (appearing Saturday and Sunday).
- Pom Klementieff (Mantis) – from Guardians of the Galaxy (appearing Saturday and Sunday).
- Tom Cavanagh (Dr. Wells) – from The Flash (appearing Saturday).
- Carlos Valdes (Cisco) – from The Flash (appearing Saturday).
- Robbie Amell (Ronnie Raymond/Firestorm) – from The Flash (appearing Saturday).
- Hartley Sawyer (Ralph Dibny) – from The Flash (appearing Saturday).
- Danielle Nicolet (Cecille Horton) – from The Flash (appearing Saturday).
- Juliana Harkavy (Dinah Drake/Black Canary) – from Arrow (appearing Sunday).
(Note: Dates and guest personalities are subject to change.)
For more information about the event click Vancouver Fan Expo 2019.
For ideas about other things to do in the Lower Mainland check out the following:
- Vancouver’s October Calendar
- Festivals & Events
- Halloween Events in the Lower Mainland
- Halloween Haunted Houses