Fan Expo Vancouver is a superhero and comic trade show at the Vancouver Convention Centre in October. It’s like a Vancouver version of San Diego’s Comic-Con.
Fan Expo Vancouver 2018
Fan Expo is a convention where superhero fanatics get to dress in costume, stock up on DC and Marvel comics, buy superhero collectibles, and meet their favourite science fiction and superhero actors.
Where and When
In 2018 Fan Expo Vancouver takes place at the Vancouver Convention Centre on the weekend of October 12th to 14th.
The event runs from 4 until 9 pm on the Friday, from 10 am until 7 pm on the Saturday, and from 10 am until 5 pm on the Sunday.
The Vancouver Convention Centre is located at 1055 Canada Place in downtown Vancouver and the event happens in the West Building in Halls A and B.
TIP: Want to see superheros and Star Wars characters for free? Then check out the Vancouver Halloween Parade on the first Sunday in October 2018.
Fan Expo Admission
Tickets to Fan Expo Vancouver vary in cost depending on when you go and how you buy your tickets.
1-Day Passes start at $30 for adults and $10 for kids (ages 6-12). 3-Day Passes start at $79 and Family Passes for a single day for 2 adults and up to 4 children start at $59.
Kids’ passes are always $10, regardless of when you buy them (although online service charges do apply.) For adults though, tickets are cheapest on the Friday, most expensive on the Saturday, and around $5 or so extra when purchased at the gate.
Here is the summary of 2018 Fan Expo general admission ticket prices:
- Children (ages 6-12): $10 online and at the gate
- Adults (ages 13+)
- Friday Passes: $30 online and $35 at the gate
- Saturday Passes: $40 online and $45 at the gate
- Sunday Passes: $35 online and $40 at the gate
- Families (of 2 adults and up to 4 children)
- Friday Passes: $59 online and $69 at the gate
- Saturday Passes: $79 online and n/a at the gate
- Sunday Passes: $69 online and $79 at the gate
- 3-Day Passes: $79 online and $89 at the gate
Tips & Important Things to Know
Below are some things to know regarding admission policies and ticket prices.
- Taxes and online fees are extra.
- All sales are final and tickets are non-transferable.
- Don’t buy a 3-Day Pass for children as three single-day tickets for kids costs half the price.
- There is a coupon that’s good for up to 2 free children (ages 6-12) per paying adult. Consequently, using the coupon is cheaper than buying a Family Pass (although the coupon can’t be used on the Saturday, plus other restrictions apply). Click Child Pass to see if the coupon is still available.
- Note that Family Passes are not available on the Saturday at the gate – they can only be purchased for that day online.
What to Expect
At Fan Expo Vancouver you can expect to see lots of convention goers in costume. There are Star Wars characters and superheroes everywhere! You can also expect to see thousands of predominantly younger adult male attendees who love everything from superhero comics to Star Trek, Japanese anime, science fiction and other forms of pop culture.
Women, families and people of all ages also attend Fan Expo, but the prime target audience is definitely male. Big Bang Theory sitcom characters Sheldon, Leonard, Howard and Raj would love the event!
At the convention there are celebrity photo and autograph opportunities, special Star Wars events, Q & A panel discussions, workshops, seminars and even Geek Speed Dating sessions. There are also, of course, vendors selling everything from comics to costumes, action hero figurines, posters, souvenir clothing and game supplies.
(TIP: If you’re looking for a superhero or science fiction movie costume for Halloween, you’ll find some good ones at this event!)
2018 Special Guests
Every year Fan Expo features a number of special guests. Typically they are science fiction and action movie actors. They participate in talks and are available for photos and autographs. Some are at the event all weekend at various times, but others for only one or two days.
Some of the special guests appearing in 2018 are listed below. (Note: Dates and guest personalities are subject to change.)
- Jason Momoa – from DC Justice League (Saturday)
- Ron Perlman – from Hellboy (Saturday)
- John Barrowman – from Doctor Who (Saturday & Sunday)
- Kristy Swanson – from Buffy the Vampire Slayer (All Weekend)
- Jason David Frank – from Power Rangers (All Weekend)
- Joe Flanigan – from Stargate: Atlantis (All Weekend)
- Alaina Huffman – from Stargate Universe (Sunday)
- Katee Sackhoff – from Battlestar Galatica (Sunday)
- Lou Ferrigno – from the Incredible Hulk (All Weekend)
- Pom Klementieff – from Guardians of the Galaxy (Saturday & Sunday)
- Wil Wheaton – from Star Trek (Saturday & Sunday)
For more information about the event click Vancouver Fan Expo 2018.
For ideas about other things to do in the Lower Mainland check out the following:
- Vancouver’s October Calendar
- Festivals & Events
- Halloween Events in the Lower Mainland
- Halloween Haunted Houses