Swangard Stadium is a multi-purpose facility in Burnaby’s Central Park. The stadium hosts many sporting events and community festivals throughout the year.
Note: Swangard Stadium’s track is normally open to the public at select times. However, as of early 2024, the track is closed due to construction.
Swangard Stadium in Burnaby
Located at the western edge of central Burnaby, Swangard Stadium is a versatile sports facility. The multi-purpose venue first opened in 1969. It features one large field, an Olympic regulation track, and a capacity of more than 5,000 people. There are multiple dressing rooms for sports teams, along with a large LED scoreboard and press box. The stadium’s concourse has concession stands as well.
Swangard Stadium used to be the home of the Vancouver Whitecaps soccer team. The stadium’s field has also been used for football and rugby games. Over the years, Swangard has hosted international track and field events too. A variety of community celebrations also take place at the venue.
Where is Swangard Stadium
Swangard Stadium is located at 6100 Boundary Road in Burnaby. It’s inside Central Park, which is also home to forested walking trails and duck ponds. The park has other sports facilities as well, including an outdoor swimming pool, fitness circuit and a Pitch and Putt Golf Course.
Events at Swangard Stadium
Swangard Stadium hosts concerts, festivals, and community gatherings as well. Annual events that typically happen at the venue are listed below.
- Canada Day – the city’s July 1st celebrations take place at Swangard Stadium in some years (but elsewhere in Central Park more recently).
- Korean Cultural Heritage Festival – a free summer event featuring Korean food and music.
- Pumpkins After Dark – a family-friendly Halloween experience with light displays and pumpkins.
- Safe and Sound Music Festival – a Hip Hop and R&B music festival in the late spring some years.
For more information about Swangard Stadium, see the City of Burnaby‘s website.
Other articles that might be of interest include the following:
- Central Park in Burnaby
- Burnaby’s Best Places and Events
- Lower Mainland Parks and Nature
- Vancouver Festivals and Events
- BC Place Stadium