Heritage Christmas at Burnaby Village is when Vancouver’s most interesting outdoor museum comes alive with Christmas lights and decorations in December.
This year Heritage Christmas runs from November 25, 2017, until January 5, 2018.
Burnaby Village at Christmas
An especially good time to visit Burnaby Village Museum is between late November and the beginning of January. That’s when the place becomes festive with Christmas lights and seasonal displays of all kinds. There is entertainment throughout the day, and admission is free – which makes Burnaby Village the best Christmas deal in town.
About Burnaby Village
Located at 6501 Deer Lake Avenue, Burnaby Village Museum is “Where History Comes to Life.” This outdoor museum includes old-fashioned streets, historic buildings including a school, church and old homes, period-costumed townsfolk, a blacksmith, a historic Vancouver street car and even an ice-cream parlour, among other stores. Want to see a place with historical value and Christmas lights? Then check out Heritage Christmas at Burnaby Village.
About Heritage Christmas
Burnaby Village is a great place for people of all ages, especially during its Heritage Christmas season. During the event there are festive Christmas lights and decorations to admire as well as special entertainment at certain times.
Even if it wasn’t free, this attraction would still be highly recommended. Don’t miss it!
Heritage Christmas Hours & Dates
From November 25 until December 15 in 2017 Heritage Christmas is open from 1:00 pm to 5:30 pm on weekdays and from 1:00 to 9:00 pm on Saturdays and Sundays.
From December 16 to January 5, 2018, Burnaby Village is open from 1:00 to 9:00 pm every day (except December 24 and 25 when it is closed).
Admission is free, but carousel rides cost $2.65.
TIP #1: If you go on a Sunday you’ll find free cookies (one per person) in the Farmhouse between 2:00 and 4:00 pm.
TIP #2: Santa is scheduled to be at the Burnaby Village Museum on weekends between November 25 and December 23, from 2:00 until 5:00 pm and then again from 6:00 until 8:00 pm. He’ll also be there daily between 6:00 and 8:00 pm during the week of December 18 to 22.
TIP #3: Dress warmly if going at night.
2017 Heritage Christmas Activities
Activities that take place daily at Burnaby Village over the winter holiday season include a Twelve Days of Christmas scavenger hunt for children, carousel rides, Christmas movies in the theatre, interactive light displays at the outdoor bandstand and a Swans a-Swimming light display that’s new for 2017. All of these are free, except for the carousel rides which cost just $2.65 per person per ride.
In addition to all of the above, there is also live entertainment.
2017 Heritage Christmas Schedule
Every year at Heritage Christmas entertainers perform at various times on different days, but mostly on the weekends.
The official launch to the 2017 season takes place on December 2nd with a special Bright in Burnaby event. See further below for details.
For a list of performance and examples of event highlights throughout the 2017 holiday season, check out the following schedule for the weekend of December 9th and 10th:
(Note: times and performer details are subject to change.)
Saturday, December 9, 2017
- 1:30 to 2:00 pm – Holiday Sing Along in the bandstand and/or the church
- 2:00 to 5:00 pm – Father Christmas in the Stride Studio
- 2:30 to 4:00 pm – Holiday Sing Along in the bandstand and/or church (with a 30-minute break at 3 o’clock)
- 4:30 to 6:30 pm – Live music with the Celtic Lasses in the church (with a half-hour break at 5:15)
In addition to the above there are roving performers at various times, roasting chestnuts in the Vorce Plaza, and the Forte Theatre Society presents Toy of the Year at Brookfield Hall with performances at 2:00, 3:30, 5:00 and 6:30 pm.
Sunday, December 10, 2017
- 1:30 to 2:00 pm – Holiday Sing Along in the bandstand and/or church
- 2:00 to 4:00 pm – Baking in the Farmhouse (with free cookies)
- 2:00 to 5:00 pm – Father Christmas in The Stride Studio
- 2:30 to 4:00 pm – Holiday Sing Along in the bandstand and/or church (with a half-hour break at 3 o’clock)
- 4:00 to 4:30 pm – Roving carolers and other street entertainment
- 5:00 to 6:30 pm – Winter Hymnals roving carolers (with a 30 minute break at 5:30)
- 6:00 to 8:00 pm – Father Christmas showing at The Stride Studio
Again, in addition to the above, there are roasting chestnuts in the Vorce Plaza all day and performances of Toy of the Year at Brookfield Hall by the Forte Theatre Society at 2:00, 3:30, 5:00 and 6:30 pm.
Bright in Burnaby Official Launch Event
The official launch event for Heritage Christmas at Burnaby Village in 2017 is on Saturday, December 2, from 4:00 until 9:00 pm.
Activities on the day include the lighting of the museum’s Christmas tree and light refreshments at 6:00 pm. Revenues from carousel ticket sales on the day will be donated to the Burnaby Christmas Bureau.
Scheduled highlights of the December 2nd event include the following:
- All Day – Roasted Chestnuts in the Vorce Plaza
- 1:15 to 2:00 pm – the BCR Brass Band at the bandstand
- 2:00 to 5:00 pm – Father Christmas in The Stride Studio
- 2:30 to 3:15 pm – Celtic Lasses at the church
- 2:45 to 3:30 pm – the BCR Brass Band at the bandstand
- 4:00 to 4:30 pm – Harpist at the Farmhouse
- 4:15 to 4:45 pm – Celtic Lasses at the church
- 4:30 to 5:00 pm – Roving carolers
- 5:00 to 5:45 pm – Harpist at the Farmhouse
- 5:00 to 5:30 pm – Roving Holiday Sing Along
- 5:30 to 6:00 pm – Roving carolers
- 5:50 to 6:15 pm – Tree Lighting Ceremony at the bandstand
- 6:15 to 7:00 pm – Harpist at the Farmhouse
- 6:30 to 7:15 pm – Rene Hugo Sanchez and Friends at the church
- 6:30 to 7:00 pm – Roving carolers
- 7:00 to 7:30 pm – Holiday Sing Along at the bandstand
- 7:45 to 8:30 pm – Rene Hugo Sanchez and Friends at the church
- 8:00 to 8:30 pm – Holiday Sing Along at the bandstand
To learn more about the venue at other times of the year, click Burnaby Village Museum.
For more information on Heritage Christmas, see the official Burnaby Village website.
Other free (or by donation) Christmas events in Metro Vancouver include the following:
- Bright Nights at Stanley Park – amazing Christmas light displays at Stanley Park throughout the month of December. Admission is by donation benefiting the BC Professional Fire Fighters’ Burn Fund.
- Christmas at Canada Place – a small number of holiday lights and Christmas-y displays along the promenade at Canada Place.
- Dundarave Festival of Lights – illuminated Christmas trees in West Vancouver during the evenings from December 2nd until the 31st with special afternoon entertainment on Saturday afternoons.
- Gingerbread Lane – decorated Christmas cookie displays at the Hyatt Regency Hotel at 655 Burrard Street.
- Holiday Hi-Light Festival – Christmas light decorations at Park & Tilford Gardens in North Vancouver with special family events on Friday evenings in December.
- Ice Skating at Robson Square – it isn’t a Christmas event, but it is wintery and free. Takes place daily at Robson Square behind the Vancouver Art Gallery from the beginning of December until the end of February.
- Lights at Lafarge – beautiful Christmas lights all around Lafarge Lake in Coquitlam from late November until mid to late January.
- Santa Claus Parade – a large Christmas parade and other activities in downtown Vancouver on Sunday, December 3, 2017.