A free, annual tradition in Coquitlam, the Kaleidoscope Arts Festival is a weekend of music, art and culture. In 2022 it happens in three different parks.
In past years the festival has been just a one-day event at Town Centre Park. This year, however, it happens on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday of August 19th to 21st. It also happens at three parks instead of just the one.
WHAT ELSE IS HAPPENING?
Other great events taking place elsewhere in the Lower Mainland on the same weekend as the Kaleidoscope Arts Festival in 2022 are the Monstercat Compound block party and Richmond Maritime Festival, both of which are free.
To learn about the above and other events happening this weekend, see Vancouver’s August Calendar. To learn more about the Kaleidoscope Arts Festival, continue reading.
The Kaleidoscope Arts Festival in 2022
The Kaleidoscope Arts Festival began in 2016 as a one-day event. It has since grown into a full weekend of programming.
Fitting given its name, the festival has a range of offerings and is split up into multiple venues. In 2022, each day of the festival takes place in a different public park with its own unique theme. There is a day of live music, a day of cultural performances and hands-on activities, and a day of children-focused entertainment.
The festival had to take place in modified formats in both 2020 and 2021 due to the pandemic. In 2022, however, Kaleidoscope returns to what it was like in past years, but now even larger and more extensive than ever before!
CIRCO OSORIO CIRCUS IN 2022
Las Vegas-based Circo Osorio comes to Coquitlam with its circus shows on October 13th to 17th in 2022. It’ll also be in Abbotsford, Surrey, Tsawwassen and Richmond on various dates between September 8th and October 10th.
2022 Dates and Locations
The dates for the festival this year are August 19th to 21st.
Three different Coquitlam parks host the festival in 2022. On Friday, August 19th, Kaleidoscope begins at Town Centre Park at 1299 Pinetree Way. The activities happen next to Lafarge Lake. Performances that night are from 6:00 to 9:00 pm.
The next day, on Saturday, August 20th, the festival hits Blue Mountain Park at 975 King Albert Avenue from noon until 4:00 pm. On the 21st, on the Sunday, activities once again run from noon to 4:00 pm, but this time in Victoria Park at 3435 Victoria Drive.
All of the festival’s events are entirely free to attend! They take place outdoors so make sure to dress appropriately for whatever the weather is like.
2022 Kaleidoscope Schedule
Each day of the festival is different from the other, not just in location but with regards to the theming as well. One detail they all have in common are the food trucks stationed at the parks. You’ll always be able to find something to eat!
Below are full performance schedules for the festival in 2022.
Friday, August 19th, 2022
The first day of the festival is a free concert at Town Centre Park. There are two musical acts performing. Also, alongside the stage is the largest collection of food trucks of any of the three days of the festival.
Below is who is performing and when on the Friday.
- 6:00 pm – Carmanah: a Folk-Rock band from Victoria.
- 7:30 pm – Dan Mangan: a multi-time Juno Award-winning Indie Rock artist from Vancouver.
Saturday, August 20th, 2022
The day at Blue Mountain Park is meant to be a cultural celebration. It offers attendees the chance to take part in various activities and learn a bit about the local environment too. In addition to the scheduled events listed below, there are multiple art exhibits and activity centres open the entire time from noon until 4:00 pm.
- 12:00 pm – White Thunder Spirt Dance (Performance & Workshop)
- 12:50 pm – Aeriosa Dance Society (Performance)
- 1:15 pm – Interactive Plant Walk
- 1:15 pm – Yvonne Kushe (Performance)
- 2:00 pm – Livona Ellis (Performance)
- 2:15 pm – Interactive Plant Walk
- 2:20 pm – Aeriosa Dance Society (Performance)
- 2:45 pm – Yvonne Kushe (Performance)
- 3:15 pm – Interactive Plant Walk
- 3:30 pm – Livona Ellis (Performance)
- 3:50 pm – Aeriosa Dance Society (Performance)
Sunday, August 21st, 2022
The final day of the festival is centred around family-friendly entertainment and activities in Victoria Park. There are some arts and crafts stations in addition to the events listed below.
- 12:00 pm – Ana Bon-Bon (Performance)
- 12:30 pm – Indigenous Storytelling with Kung Jaadee
- 1:00 pm – Still Moon Arts Society Stilting and Bird Puppet Workshop
- 1:00 pm – Diamonds in the Rough (Performance & Workshop)
- 1:30 pm – Indigenous Storytelling with Kung Jaadee
- 1:45 pm – Jeanette Kotowich Metis (Jiggling Dance & Workshop)
- 2:15 pm – Shawn Bullshields (Performance)
- 2:30 pm – Story Time Under the Tree
- 2:30 pm – Diamonds in the Rough (Performance & Workshop)
- 3:15 pm – Jeanette Kotowich Metis (Jiggling Dance & Workshop)
- 3:30 pm – Shawn Bullshields (Performance)
For more information about the events visit the Kaleidoscope Arts Festival website.
Other articles that might be of interest include the following: