Where to Eat in Yaletown
Yaletown is one of Vancouver’s most popular districts for restaurants and eating out.
Two streets in particular have an exceptionally high concentration of great places to eat – they are Mainland and Hamilton Streets at around the 1100 block. They are interesting streets, with on-street parking down below and all the restaurants (or most of them) up a few steps on a raised sidewalk, which means they’re not great for people with mobility challenges.
Evenings in the summer are when these two streets really come alive. Some of the most popular restaurants include the following:
- Blue Water – at 1095 Hamilton Street.
- Cioppino’s Mediterranean Grill – at 1133 Hamilton Street.
- Earls – at 1095 Mainland Street.
- The Keg Steakhouse at 1011 Mainland Street.
- Cactus Club Cafe – at 357 Davie Street.
- Hapa Izakaya – at 1193 Hamilton Street.
- Minami – at 1118 Mainland Street.
The False Creek Seawall
False Creek borders Yaletown at its southern edge and the seawall here is stunning, both from the north and south sides of the water. Yaletown has one of Vancouver’s most concentrated number of high-rise buildings, which makes the urban scenery especially dynamic.
Being on the north side of False Creek, the seawall along the Yaletown stretch is in the sunshine for most of the day and makes for a wonderful walking and cycling route.
False Creek Events
A number of major events take place in and around the Yaletown part of Vancouver including the following:
- Vancouver Dragon Boat Festival – dragon boat races in False Creek (late June). The event is based around Science World at the eastern tip of False Creek but the racing can be seen all along the Yaletown waterfront.
- Vancouver International Jazz Festival – a jazz festival from late June until the beginning of July with major concerts in Yaletown’s David Lam Park on the Canada Day weekend.
- Carnaval del Sol – a Latin American festival that takes place at Concord Pacific Place in early July just a short walk along the water from Yaletown.
- Pet-A-Palooza – a street party for dogs and their owners on Mainland Street in August.
- Candytown – a Christmas-themed street market in late November.