The Vancouver Mural Festival Street Party is a giant free annual public art event that takes place in Mount Pleasant on Saturday August 10th in 2019.
The Street Party is the main and final event of the Vancouver Mural Festival which runs from August 5th until the 10th in 2019.
Mount Pleasant Street Party in 2019
The Vancouver Mural Festival Street Party is a massive event that involves public murals, art, live music and street festival activities. In 2019 it celebrates its 4th year on Saturday August 10th from 12:00 until 6:00 pm (although details are to be confirmed).
After the free Street Party last year, at the Park Show at nearby Jonathan Rogers Park, there was a ticketed event featuring the band A Tribe Called Red and Charlotte Day Wilson. 2019 will likely be similar, although with a different band.
General admission to the Park Show costs about $36 and the event runs from 6 o’clock until 9:30 pm. The Street Party though is free.
Street Party Location
The August 10th Street Party portion of the festival takes place in the Mount Pleasant neighbourhood of Vancouver along Main Street between 7th Avenue and 12th Avenue. Some activities also take place most years in the laneway between 7th Avenue and 8th Avenue between Main Street and Johnathan Rogers Park (which is about 3 blocks west of Main).
Main Street is about a 15-minute walk east of the Broadway-City Hall SkyTrain Station on Broadway and Cambie. Johnathan Rogers Park, meanwhile, is about halfway between the station and Main Street.
What to Expect
At the Mount Pleasant Street Party expect to see tens of thousands of people, artistic murals on buildings, dozens of market vendors, art in the street and live music on various stages.
The Street Party also features a craft beer garden. Last year it ran from 1 until 8 pm on East 4th Avenue between Main Street and Quebec (so about three or so blocks up from the other main activities). Participating BC craft breweries included Main Street, Powell Brewery, R&B Brewing, Electric Bicycle Brewing, Faculty Brewing, Collective Arts, Parkside, Andina, Parallel 49, Strathcona, Mariner Brewing and West Coast Cider.
Live music takes place on a few different stages during the Vancouver Mural Festival’s Street Party. The Main Stage is located on Main Street at 11th Avenue, so at the south end of the venue. The Westward Stage is usually at the corner of Main Street and Broadway (so around the middle of the action) and the Mount Pleasant Community Stage is located at the alley by 8th Avenue.
2018 Performance Schedule
Below is the scheduled music lineup for the Saturday of August 11th 2018. The 2019 schedule will be comparable.
(Note: Times and other performance details are subject to change.)
- 12:00 pm – Ponytails: on the Community Stage
- 12:30 pm – TBD: on the Westward Stage
- 1:00 pm – INTRO: on the Main Street Main Stage
- 1:00 pm – DAñSE: on the Community Stage
- 1:30 pm – Shamik: on the Main Street Main Stage
- 1:30 pm – TBD: on the Westward Stage
- 2:00 pm – Pudding: on the Community Stage
- 2:15 pm – Schwey: on the Main Street Main Stage
- 2:15 pm – Ackee Tecusmseh: on the Westward Stage
- 3:00 pm – Alex Maher: on the Community Stage
- 3:10 pm – Jenney Banai: on the Westward Stage
- 3:30 pm – The Belle Game: on the Main Street Main Stage
- 4:00 pm – Brutal Poodle: on the Community Stage
- 4:15 pm – Kimmortal: on the Westward Stage
- 4:45 pm – Hannah Georgas: on the Main Street Main Stage
- 5:00 pm – Booty Ep: on the Community Stage
For more information about the event see the Vancouver Mural Festival website.