The Vancouver Mural Festival Street Party is a giant free annual public art event that takes place in Mount Pleasant.
The Street Party is the main and final event of the Vancouver Mural Festival which ran from August 5th until the 10th in 2019. 2020 dates are from July 30th until August 8th.
Mount Pleasant Street Party
The Vancouver Mural Festival Street Party is a massive event that involves public murals, art, live music and street festival activities. In 2020 it celebrates its 5th year.
After the free Street Party last year, at the Park Show at nearby Jonathan Rogers Park, there was a ticketed event featuring the band A Tribe Called Red and Charlotte Day Wilson. In 2019 performers at the ticketed event were LP, Badbadnotgood, Iskwē and DJ MY!GAY!HUSBAND.
General admission to the Park Show costed about $40 and the event ran from 4 o’clock until around 9:30 or 10:00 pm. The Street Party though was free.
Street Party Location
The August 10th Street Party portion of the festival took place in the Mount Pleasant neighbourhood of Vancouver along Main Street between 7th Avenue and 12th Avenue. Some activities also took place in the laneway between 7th Avenue and 8th Avenue between Main Street and Johnathan Rogers Park (which is about 3 blocks west of Main).
Main Street is about a 15-minute walk east of the Broadway-City Hall SkyTrain Station on Broadway and Cambie. Johnathan Rogers Park, meanwhile, is about halfway between the station and Main Street.
Bands that performed at the event in 2019 included Imur, Ashleigh Ball, Blonde Diamond, Haley Blais, Missy D & Friends, Quarterback, Francis Arevaleo, Sleepy Gonzales and Sam the Astronaut.
What to Expect
At the Mount Pleasant Street Party expect to see tens of thousands of people, artistic murals on buildings, dozens of market vendors, art in the street and live music on various stages.
The Street Party also features a craft beer garden. Last year it ran from 1 until 8 pm on East 4th Avenue between Main Street and Quebec (so about three or so blocks up from the other main activities). Participating BC craft breweries included Main Street, Powell Brewery, R&B Brewing, Electric Bicycle Brewing, Faculty Brewing, Collective Arts, Parkside, Andina, Parallel 49, Strathcona, Mariner Brewing and West Coast Cider.
Live music takes place on a few different stages during the Vancouver Mural Festival’s Street Party. The Main Stage is located on Main Street at 11th Avenue, so at the south end of the venue. The Westward Stage is usually at the corner of Main Street and Broadway (so around the middle of the action) and the Mount Pleasant Community Stage is located at the alley by 8th Avenue.
Below is the scheduled music lineup for the Saturday of the festival a few years ago. The 2020 schedule will be comparable.
(Note: Times and other performance details are subject to change.)
- 12:00 pm – Ponytails: on the Community Stage
- 12:30 pm – TBD: on the Westward Stage
- 1:00 pm – INTRO: on the Main Street Main Stage
- 1:00 pm – DAñSE: on the Community Stage
- 1:30 pm – Shamik: on the Main Street Main Stage
- 1:30 pm – TBD: on the Westward Stage
- 2:00 pm – Pudding: on the Community Stage
- 2:15 pm – Schwey: on the Main Street Main Stage
- 2:15 pm – Ackee Tecusmseh: on the Westward Stage
- 3:00 pm – Alex Maher: on the Community Stage
- 3:10 pm – Jenney Banai: on the Westward Stage
- 3:30 pm – The Belle Game: on the Main Street Main Stage
- 4:00 pm – Brutal Poodle: on the Community Stage
- 4:15 pm – Kimmortal: on the Westward Stage
- 4:45 pm – Hannah Georgas: on the Main Street Main Stage
- 5:00 pm – Booty Ep: on the Community Stage
For more information about the event see the Vancouver Mural Festival website.