Greek Day on Broadway is a Vancouver street party in late June that features Greek culture, food, music, entertainment and market vendors in Kitsilano.
GREEK DAY AND COVID-19
The coronavirus is causing most if not all major events in Vancouver to be cancelled this summer. Greek Day on Broadway is no exception.
Due to COVID-19, organizers of the event have announced that the festival won’t be happening in 2020. It will hopefully be back again though next year.
To learn more about the event’s decision to cancel, see the Greek Day Cancellation Statement.
For a list of events and attractions that are still happening, see our article about Vancouver, COVID-19 and What’s Open.
Vancouver Greek Street Party
Greek Day on Broadway is one of Vancouver’s premier pedestrian-only events. It attracts tens of thousands of people each year and is apparently Vancouver’s longest-running festival.
Where and When
In 2020 Greek Day on Broadway was scheduled to take place on Sunday, June 28, from 11 in the morning until around 9 o’clock at night.
Each year the street party takes place on West Broadway in Kitsilano along the five blocks between MacDonald and Blenheim, so from the 2800 block of Broadway to the 3200 block.
Greek Day Activities
In years when it does take place, activities at the Greek Day on Broadway event include a Kids’ Zone, cooking demonstrations, and live entertainment including performances by various community Greek dance groups, many of whom also often perform at the Greek Food Festival in Surrey earlier in June.
If you like Greek food and Greek music, or just want to have fun while learning more about Greek culture, this is a great event to check out.
2019 Main Stage Schedule
Every year Greek Day on Broadway features a range of live entertainment performances that showcase Greek culture. Below is the 2019 schedule of performers to give you an idea of what to expect in 2021.
- 11:40 am – Gradina – Serbian Folk Dancers
- 12:00 pm – Akrites – Seattle
- 12:20 pm – Saints Nicholas and Dimitrios Greek School
- 12:40 pm – Socrates Greek School
- 1:00 pm – Opening Ceremony
- 2:00 pm – Akrites – Seattle
- 2:20 pm – Tharros Greek Dance Academy
- 2:40 pm – Diaspora Hellenic Dancing Official (Seniors)
- 3:00 pm – Diaspora Hellenic Dancing Official (Adults)
- 3:20 pm – Tharros Greek Dance Academy (Youth)
- 3:40 pm – Cretan Agrimakia
- 4:00 pm – Cretan Minotavri
- 4:20 pm – Enosis
- 4:40 pm – Alexander the Great/Zefyros (Pontian)
- 5:00 pm – Tharros Greek Dance Academy (Nisiotiko Suite)
- 5:20 pm – Anemos Greek Dance Group
- 5:40 pm – H Parea (St. George’s Hellenic Community of Vancouver)
- 6:00 pm – Yiannis Sahamis & Band LIVE
For more information, see the Greek Day on Broadway website.
If you plan to attend the Greek Day festival then check out Kitsilano for other things to do in the area. And if you love Greek things and this sort of event, then also visit the Surrey Greek Food Festival which takes place in Surrey during the first half of June, or Greek Summerfest which happens in Vancouver on Boundary Road in mid-July.
For other festivals and similar events at other times, check out Vancouver’s Festivals and Events Calendar.