Vancouver’s Pet-A-Palooza is a free street festival where thousands of people, dogs and pet-product-related vendors take over a street in Yaletown in August.
In 2023 the event happens on August 27th.
To learn about other events happening in the Lower Mainland, see Vancouver’s August Events Calendar. To learn more about the dog-themed event in Yaletown, continue reading.
LUNCH & DINNER TIP
The next time you’re in Yaletown, especially if you like Italian food, and on a day when you’re not with your dog, be sure to check out Tutto Restaurant & Bar. It’s arguably one of Vancouver’s best Italian restaurants. Unfortunately though they don’t have an outdoor patio, so dogs aren’t permitted.
Pet-A-Palooza: Day of the Dog
Pet-A-Palooza takes place in the 1100 block of Mainland Street in the heart of Yaletown in August each year. It usually takes place on the last Sunday in August. In 2023 it does so again, on Sunday, August 27th. Activities run from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm.
Pet-A-Palooza is a free and very pet-friendly event that features dog product vendors, dog races and hundreds of four-legged friends wandering around the street with their owners.
In 2023 Pet-A-Palooza features the following activities
- Brunch – a pancake breakfast for puppies.
- Pool Party – a 120-foot outdoor pool for dogs with floaties, music and more.
- Foam Party – a 50-foot foam pit for dogs and their owners to sit in.
- Peanut Butter Licking Contest – a chance for the dogs to prove who can snack the fastest.
- Yoga – enjoy yoga with adoptable puppies.
There are also the following races at Pet-A-Palooza:
- Running of the Bulls – a 20-foot-long race for bulldogs, one for English Bulldogs and one for French Bulldogs.
- Wiener Dog Race – a race for dachshunds.
- Corgi Races – a 30-foot race specifically for corgis.
- Doodle Dog Mania – a 30-foot race for doodles of different kinds.
In addition to the above, there are typically opportunities for photos, Q&A sessions with vets, and bang haircuts and pedicures (for the dogs, not the people).
Pet-A-Palooza is an awesome event for those who love dogs and want to show off their pooches. Everyone is welcome!
Pet-A-Palooza is a fundraising event for the Just Love Animals (JLA) Society which is a non-profit canine community that provides holistic treatment and rescue rehabilitation services for dogs. The organization is based on Vancouver Island.
JLA does the following things:
- Creates a community of likeminded individuals to celebrate animals.
- Hosts community events (like Pet-A-Palooza) and brings local, ethical businesses together.
- Fosters awareness about animal welfare.
- Educates and brings awareness about holistic care.
- Rescues and rehabilitates dogs in need from across the continent.
The Pet-A-Palooza event serves a number of purposes. It raises money for the Just Love Animals Society. It also helps the organization educate the public and create awareness about themselves, holistic canine care and the importance of animal welfare.
Vancouver is not the only city that JLA hosts a Pet-A-Palooza Day of the Dog Festival. The organization puts on similar events in Victoria, Calgary and Scottsdale, Arizona.
Below are a couple of videos showing how many dogs and different dog breeds attend Pet-A-Palooza with their owners. As you’ll see, if you like dogs, you’ll love this event!
Here’s another, similar video. This one has a cute puppy at the end!
For further details about the Day of the Dog event in Yaletown, click Pet-a-Palooza Vancouver.
To learn more about the non-profit organization behind the event, check out the Just Love Animals‘ website.
For more information about the area where the event takes place, click Yaletown.
For a list of other things to do in Vancouver check out any of the following:
- Vancouver August Calendar
- Vancouver September Calendar
- Festivals & Events Calendar
- Metro Vancouver’s Top 100 Places