The Greater Vancouver Food Truck Festival is a series of events involving food trucks, artisan vendors, live music and family-friendly activities.
UPCOMING DRIVE-THRU EVENTS
A number of drive-thru-style food truck events are happening this spring. They include events at the following locations between 11 am and 6 pm each of the Saturdays and Sundays:
- Chilliwack – at the Chilliwack Coliseum at 45323 Hodgins Road on March 27th and 28th.
- Abbotsford – at the Tradex Centre at 1190 Cornell Street on the Easter Weekend of April 3rd and 4th.
- Maple Ridge – at the Albion Fairgrounds at 23588 105th Avenue on April 10th and 11th.
- Surrey – at the Cloverdale Rodeo Grounds at 6050 176th Street on April 24th and 25th.
At each of the events at least 8 or so food trucks are participating. People from the area can simply drive up and order what they like from their favourite vendors. Admission to the events is free.
To learn more see the Greater Vancouver Food Truck Festival‘s website.
Food Truck Festivals in the Lower Mainland
In years where there isn’t a pandemic, there are many food truck-related events in the Lower Mainland. Some are huge and others are smaller. In years when there is COVID-19, there are still food truck events, but in drive-thru formats (which is so awesome)!
To learn about all of the Lower Mainland’s various food truck-style events, click Lower Mainland Food Truck Festivals. To learn about the ones run by the Greater Vancouver Food Truck Festival folk, continue reading.
Food Truck Events and COVID-19
The novel coronavirus is having a terrible effect on food trucks and the restaurant industry as a whole. Last year most food truck events were either cancelled or postponed. Some though still went ahead, but with extra safety precautions in place.
For a list of which food truck events still happened last year and which didn’t, see below. In 2021 some of these events will be happening again. Exact details, however, are to be confirmed.
Greater Vancouver Food Truck Festival Events
Formerly called the Fraser Valley Food Truck Festival, the Greater Vancouver Food Truck Festival is a series of events in different parts of the Lower Mainland. In a typical year each is a one-day event featuring over 20 food trucks, a small artisan market and live entertainment. Admission to the venue is always free (but you pay for the food).
Dates and details for 2021 events are to be confirmed. In most cases they will be smaller events, and in COVID-safe drive-thru formats.
In 2020 the nine Greater Vancouver Food Truck Festival events were going to be the following:
- Port Moody – on April 11th from 11:00 am to 6:00 pm at Inlet Park at 3000 Murray Street. (CANCELLED)
- Guildford – on April 17th from 4:00 pm to 10:00 pm and April 18th from 11:00 am to 6:00 pm at Guildford Town Centre at 10355 152 Street in Surrey. (CANCELLED)
- Chilliwack – on April 25th from 11:00 am to 6:00 pm at the Chilliwack Coliseum at 45323 Hodgins Avenue. (POSTPONED until September 19th.)
- Willowbrook – on May 8th from 4:00 pm to 10:00 pm and May 9th from 11:00 am to 6:00 pm at Willowbrook Shopping Centre at 19705 Fraser Highway in Langley. (CANCELLED)
- Cloverdale – on May 23rd from 11:00 am to 6:00 pm at the Cloverdale Fairgrounds in Surrey. (POSTPONED until later in the year when it took place as a drive-thru event.)
- Abbotsford – on May 30th from 11:00 am to 6:00 pm at Thunderbird Square in the Civic Plaza at 32388 Veterans Way. (CANCELLED)
- NOTE: Although the original event scheduled for May was cancelled, two new ones were scheduled for June 14th and 28th. They took place at TRADEX from 11:00 am until 6:00 pm. To address concerns about the coronavirus, they happened in a drive-thru format. Guests parked their cars and waited for an attendant to direct them to the food truck of their choice. See the Abbotsford Food Truck Festival’s Facebook Page for details.
- Coquitlam – on June 6th from 11:00 am to 6:00 pm at Town Centre Park at 1299 Pinetree Way. (POSTPONED until September 27th.)
- Langley – on June 20th from 11:00 am to 7:00 pm at Douglas Park at 20550 Douglas Crescent. (CANCELLED)
- NOTE: Although the June 20th event was cancelled, a revised ‘drive-thru” version of the event was scheduled for June 13th from 11:00 am until 6:00 pm outside the Christian Life Assembly church at 21277 56th Avenue in Langley. See the event’s Facebook Page for details.
- Maple Ridge – on June 21st from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm at the Maple Ridge Street Festival by the Memorial Peace Park on 224th Street. (POSTPONED and then later CANCELLED.)
Up until a few years ago, the Greater Vancouver Food Truck Festival also ran the Fort Langley Food Truck Festival as well as the Vancouver Street Food Fest in Concord Pacific Place near False Creek. Neither of those events has happened, however, for a number of years.
In years when the events do take place and there isn’t a pandemic, all of the Greater Vancouver Food Truck Festival events include child-friendly activities (like face painting), roving entertainers and live music.
What to Expect
In a typical year each of the food truck festivals features twenty or more food trucks serving everything from ice cream to pizza, mini donuts, and Greek, Chinese, Thai, Japanese and other ethnic cuisine. The festivals also feature live music and a small vendor market. In the spring of 2021, the first round of events feature eight or so food trucks.
At most of the above Greater Vancouver Food Truck Festival events in recent years, characters from the TV show Paw Patrol have made appearances and been available for photo opportunities. There are also usually craft activities and/or a face painting station for children.
Check out the Greater Vancouver Food Truck Festival website for more information about the organization behind this series of food truck-related events.
To learn more about these and other similar events, click Lower Mainland Food Truck Festivals.
Other articles that might be of interest include the following:
To learn more about the communities where Greater Vancouver Food Truck Festival events take place most years see our articles about the following: