Don’t worry if it’s rainy around Halloween. Fortunately there are lots of great indoor things going on in Metro Vancouver, both for kids and adults.
Below is a description of some of the best ways to celebrate Halloween indoors in the rain.
Vancouver Rainy Day Activities at Halloween
Below is a list of Halloween-ish activities that are indoors, or at least mostly indoors. Also, be sure to check out Vancouver’s October Events Calendar or Vancouver’s Best Rainy Day Activities for the best indoor things to do in general. For nightclub activities, see our article about Vancouver on the Halloween Weekend. For a list of both indoor and outdoor Halloween activities, click Vancouver Halloween Events.
Vancouver Rainy Day Halloween Activities
Great rainy day Halloween-themed things to do in the City of Vancouver in 2023 include the following:
- Dia de Muertos Latin Market – a free Latin American Heritage Month event featuring food stalls, market vendors and entertainment on Granville Island in the afternoons and evenings of October 28th and 29th.
- FlyOver Canada – the multi-dimensional theatre at Canada Place has a Halloween theme in the late afternoons and evenings. In 2023 the HowlOver Canada film runs from September 28th until October 31st.
- Fright Nights – the haunted houses and rides are back at the PNE in 2023! That means that there are both indoor and outdoor things to do at the popular Halloween attraction. You’ll still get wet as you go from one house to the other, but just think – the line ups won’t be as long as if the weather was good!
- Halloween Cruises with Vancouver Boat Parties – a fun place to be on a rainy weekend night around Halloween is on a party boat in the waters of False Creek and Coal Harbour. You’ll want to be on an inside deck though, or wear a waterproof costume if it’s raining. Events in 2023 include the following on October 28th:
- Vancouver Horror Show – the horror movie film festival has shows at the Scotiabank Theatre in downtown Vancouver on October 13th to 15th. It also has shows at the Cineplex Theatre at Metropolis at Metrotown in Burnaby on the weekend of October 20th to 22nd.
- Silent Movie Mondays – Vancouver Civic Theatres hosts a classic movie night at the Orpheum about once a month. In 2023, on Monday, October 16th, the film is Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror which first came out in 1922.
- Dead Fellows Haunted Brewhouse – this new haunted house attraction takes place at Strange Fellows Brewhouse from October 27th until the 31st. In the evenings it’s suitable for adults and older children. In the afternoons on the Saturday and Sunday, however, the place is less scary and more kid friendly.
Burnaby Indoor Halloween Activities
- Vancouver Horror Show – the horror movie film festival has shows in Vancouver on the weekend of October 13th to 15th, but also at the Cineplex Theatre at Metropolis at Metrotown on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday of October 20th to 22nd.
Langley Indoor Venues
One of the Lower Mainland’s best indoor Halloween attractions is at a residential home in Langley.
- Brinkworth Dungeon – located at 22260 48th Avenue, this is an impressive indoor haunted house. Inside you can expect to see a variety of wax museum-quality scenes including a number of them from famous horror movies. There is a lot to see outside, but the house itself is all indoors.
Richmond Halloween Under Shelter
- Halloween at the Cannery – special Halloween activities and displays are at the Gulf of Georgia Cannery in Steveston Village from October 2nd until November 5th in 2023. The venue has a “haunted sea” theme.
Indoor Squamish Region Activities
- Cabinet of Curiosities at Britannia Mine – in 2023 the Halloween fun happens at Britannia Mine on the Saturdays and Sundays of October 14th & 15th, 21st & 22nd and 28th & 29th. Hours of operation are from 10:00 am until 3:00 pm. The cost is $25 for those over age 12 and $15 for children, but free for those under age 3. It’s not all indoors, but much of it is.
Dry Surrey Halloween Places
- Cougar Creek’s House of Horrors – a couple of the Lower Mainland’s best and scariest haunted attractions are at 12530-72nd Avenue in Surrey. Formerly known as Potter’s House of Horrors, the lineup area is under shelter and the houses are indoors. The place is open on select dates between September 29th and October 31st in 2023.
Other Halloween and Fall Activities
In addition to the above, other recreation and community centres put on special Halloween swimming and skating events over the weekend before Halloween, and many shopping malls and districts offer fun trick-or-treating opportunities to dress up at too. Check the websites of centres near you.
In addition to the haunted houses mentioned above, there are many more great venues scattered throughout the region. Check out our full list of Lower Mainland Haunted Houses for more information.
For a list of other things to do at Halloween with children, including outdoor trains and haunted museums, see Vancouver Children’s Halloween Activities.
For more ideas on things to do in the fall in the Lower Mainland at other times, check out the following:
- Vancouver’s Best Places in Autumn
- Vancouver Halloween Events
- Halloween for Adults
- Vancouver’s October Calendar
- Vancouver’s November Calendar
- Vancouver Shows and Entertainment