Don’t worry if it’s rainy around Halloween in 2019. Fortunately there are lots of great indoor things going on in Metro Vancouver, both for kids and adults.
Below is a description of some of the best ways to celebrate Halloween indoors this year in the rain.
Rainy Day Halloween Activities
Here is a list of Halloween-ish activities that are indoors or at least mostly indoors. Also, be sure to check out Vancouver’s October Events Calendar for other great indoor activities going on in town, Vancouver’s Best Rainy Day Activities for a list of best indoor things to do in general, or Vancouver Halloween Events for a list of both indoor and outdoor Halloween activities.
Vancouver Halloween in the Rain
- Fright Nights – it’s not all indoors and it’s definitely not for young children, but Fright Nights at the PNE can still be a great place in the rain. The rides will be wet and perhaps not much fun, but the eight haunted houses are indoors and the lineups are shorter on rainy days than when the weather is good. Just remember that costumes aren’t allowed. Nor are large umbrellas, although regular-sized ones are permitted.
- FlyOver Canada – the multi-dimensional theatre at Canada Place has a Halloween theme in the late afternoons and evenings during the second half or so of October. 2019 details are to be confirmed.
- Vancouver Halloween Expo – a collection of exhibitions, activities and live entertainment at Robson Square in Vancouver. Much of it is inside, but does require a day pass. In 2019 this takes place Thanksgiving weekend which is October 11th to 13th.
North Vancouver Indoor Venues
The following two haunted houses are both in private residential homes and at least partly (but not 100%) indoors. Both are also either free or by donation.
- The Haunt of Edgemont – an impressive haunted house at a family’s home at 3414 Emerald Drive near North Vancouver’s Edgemont Village. Admission is free, but donations for the BC Professional Firefighters Burn Fund are gratefully accepted. In 2019 it operates in the evenings from October 11th until the 31st.
- Dovercourt Crypt – another family-run haunted house that’s open to the public annually during the last few days of October. It’s located at 3637 Maginnis Avenue in the Lynn Valley neighbourhood of North Vancouver. 2019 details are to be confirmed.
Richmond Halloween Under Shelter
- Halloween at the Cannery – special Halloween activities take place at the Gulf of Georgia Cannery at 12138 Fourth Avenue in Steveston Village on October 26 and 27 in 2019 from 11 am until 4 pm. The cost is $11 for adults, $7 for children (ages 6 to 17) and $9 for seniors (ages 65+).
Indoor Squamish Region Activities
- Halloween Spooktacular Event at Britannia Mine – Halloween fun happens at Britannia Mine on October 19th-20th and 26th-27th from 10 am until 3 pm in 2019. The cost is $15, but free for children under age 5.
Dry Surrey Halloween Places
- Potter’s House of Horrors – two of the Lower Mainland’s best and scariest haunted attractions are at 12530-72nd Avenue. The lineup area is under shelter and both houses are indoors. Not recommended for children! Open October 4th to 13th and October 15th to November 2nd in 2019.
Other Halloween and Fall Activities
In addition to the above, other recreation and community centres put on special Halloween swimming and skating events over the weekend before Halloween, and many shopping malls and districts are offer fun trick-or-treating opportunities to dress up at too. Check the websites of centres near you.
In addition to the haunted houses mentioned above, there are many more great venues scattered throughout the region. Check out our full list of Lower Mainland Haunted Houses for more information.
For a list of other things to do at Halloween with children, including outdoor trains and haunted museums, see Vancouver Children’s Halloween Activities.
For more ideas on things to do in the fall in the Lower Mainland at other times, check out the following:
- Vancouver’s Best Places in Autumn
- Halloween for Adults
- Vancouver’s October Calendar
- Vancouver’s November Calendar
- Vancouver Shows and Entertainment