October is a fun month for children and their families in Vancouver. They get to dress up, trick-or-treat and visit great Halloween events and attractions.
Halloween Activities for Kids
Some of the best Halloween activities and places for children in Metro Vancouver are listed below.
Note #1: Only a small selection of haunted houses are listed below as most are for older youth and not appropriate for younger children. For a list of scarier places you won’t want to take pre-schoolers and more timid kids, click Lower Mainland Haunted Houses.
Note #2: Event details are subject to change. See official event websites for the most up-to-date information.
This article lists kids’ Halloween activities in the following locations:
Click any of the above links to jump to information about activities for children in a specific region, or continue reading to learn all about Lower Mainland kid-friendly Halloween things to do.
Halloween for Kids in Burnaby
- Burnaby’s Haunted Village – a family-friendly event at Burnaby Village with trick-or-treating, live entertainment and carousel rides. Cost is usually about $14 for adults, seniors and youth, and $9 for children 2 to 12 years of age. It takes place in 2019 on October 25th-28th from 6 to 9 pm.
Halloween for Kids in Fraser Valley
- Visiting pumpkin patches and corn mazes – lots of fun for little folk and their families at places like Maan Farms in Abbotsford, Bose Corn Maze in Surrey, and both the Chilliwack Corn Maze and Petey’s Pumpkin Patch in the Fraser Valley.
- Mission Nightmare Haunted House – a Halloween attraction in Mission that’s scary, but not overly so. Some of the live actors inside are even young kids! Also, families with young children get to hold flashlights (which warn actors to turn down the scariness factor). The event runs nightly between 7 and 10 pm from October 18th until the 27th in 2019. It will be closed on October 21st and 22nd, 2019.
- Kids Fort Langley Halloween – trick-or-treating and other Halloween activities at the fort on October 27th from 10 am to 5 pm in 2019. Admission is $7.80 for adults, $6.55 for seniors, and free for youth under 18 years of age.
Halloween for Kids in Surrey
- Halloween Pumpkin Express – child-friendly miniature train rides take place at Bear Creek Park in Surrey from 10 am until 4:30 pm from October 5th to 31st in 2019. The cost is about $11. (And for $1 or so extra from 6:30 to 10 pm starting around a week or so later you can ride the Haunted Forest Scream Train, but for that leave your littler ones at home!)
- Haunted Farm Family Day – free activities including fortune telling and scavenger hunts take place at Stewart Farm at 13723 Crescent Road on Saturday October 26th, 2019, from 12 until 3 pm.
Halloween for Kids in Vancouver
- VanDusen Glow in the Garden – lit-up carved pumpkins and Halloween activities are on display at VanDusen Garden during the last week or two of October from around 4:30 until 9 pm. The cost is around $12.50 for adults, $10.50 for youth, seniors and members, and $8.50 for children ages 3-12. Children in costume can participate in fun crafts activities. 2019 details are to be determined.
- Halloween Movies at UBC – Wesbrook Village at 3378 Wesbrook Mall often features a different Halloween movie every Wednesday in October at 4:30 pm. In 2018 the film on October 31st was Paranorman. 2019 details are to be confirmed.
- Halloween at Wesbrook Village – trick or treating at area businesses takes place between 4:00 and 6:00 pm on October 31st. Last year, and likely to be continuing in 2019 as well, there was a haunted house and craft activities on the same evening at the Wesbrook Community Centre from 4:00 to 7:00 pm.
- FlyOver Canada – the multi-dimensional theatre flying experience at Canada Place is decorated in a Halloween theme daily from 4 pm to 9 pm for the last half of October most years. In 2019 it runs from October 24th to November 3rd.
- Stanley Park Ghost Train – daily matinee and evening night trains run the last three weeks in October. The cost is usually around $12 for adults and $9 for people ages 3-17 and 65+. Matinees trains are around $6.
- Vancouver Halloween Parade – a non-spooky family-friendly parade takes place along Howe Street and Granville in Vancouver starting at 11 am on a Sunday each year in early October. The date in 2019 is October 13th.
- Halloween at the Roundhouse – activities for young children take place at the Roundhouse Community Centre at 181 Roundhouse Mews on October 31st from 4:30 until 7:30 pm. The cost is $6 per child with advanced registration.
Halloween in North Vancouver
- Trick or Treating in Lower Lonsdale – last year 40 or so businesses gave out treats between 3:30 and 5:30 pm on October 31st to kids in costume in the Lower Lonsdale District between the waterfront and 3rd Street. You had to look for the TRICK OR TREAT HERE decals in the windows for participating merchants. 2019 details are to be confirmed.
- Halloween at the Quay – Lonsdale Quay usually has a small number of activities on October 31st for little folk in their Kids Corner on the 2nd floor from around 12 until 4 pm. There is usually trick or treating with participating retailers starting at noon (while supplies last), a craft table all afternoon, and balloon animals (for a fee). 2019 details are to be confirmed.
Halloween for Kids in Richmond
- Halloween at the Cannery – special Halloween activities take place at the Cannery at 12138 Fourth Avenue in Steveston Village most years from 11 am until 4 pm on the Saturday and Sunday just before Halloween. The cost in 2019 is $11 for adults and $7 for children over 5 years of age. 2019’s dates are October 26th and 27th and the place has a haunted sea theme.
- Halloween Fireworks – music, kids’ activities, fire juggling, a magic show and fireworks take place most years at Minoru Park at 7191 Granville Avenue in Richmond on October 31st from around 6:30 to 8:45 pm.
Halloween in Maple Ridge
- Celebrate the Night – Maple Ridge usually hosts a family-friendly event at the Memorial Peace Park on the Sunday before Halloween from 5:00 until 8:00 pm. The free event includes games, crafts, pumpkins and live entertainment, plus a wonderful fireworks finale. In 2019 this event occurs on October 27th.
In the Sea to Sky Region
- Halloween Spooktacular – spooky fun usually takes place at Britannia Mine on a couple of weekends before Halloween. Last year it happened on October 20th-21st and 27th-28th from 10 am until 3 pm. The cost is $15, but free for children under age 5. 2019 dates are October 19th-20th and October 26th-27th.
Halloween for Older Spooks
There are also scarier events that youth and older children might enjoy, while others won’t. Two of the scarier ones are Fright Nights at the PNE Potter’s House of Horrors in Surrey. Don’t take young kids to either!
- Fright Nights – takes place at the PNE grounds at 2901 East Hastings Street and features eight haunted houses and over a dozen rides. It’s more for youths and young adults (and older ones), but some older children have fun there too. Tickets range from around $25 to $45 or so for general admission at the gate depending on the day of the week. Warning: Fright Nights is not recommended for children 12 & under, guest 65 and older, guests with sensitivity to strobe lighting, guests with high blood pressure and pregnant women. Also, leave your costumes and face paint at home!
- Potter’s House of Horrors – there are two amazing haunted venues at 12530 72nd Avenue in Surrey. Last year one house was “Monstrosity” and the other was “Devils Descent.” They were open every day in October 2018 except for October 1-4 and 8. 2019 will be similar.
- For a list of other Halloween haunted houses, most of which aren’t appropriate for folk under 12, check out Lower Mainland Haunted Houses.
Other Activities in October
Interested in learning about other great activities in the month of October? Then check out the following:
- Vancouver Halloween Events
- Vancouver’s Best Places in Autumn
- Vancouver Fall Activities
- Halloween Haunted Houses (not for young children)
- Vancouver’s October Calendar
- Vancouver’s Shows and Entertainment Listing