Uptown Live is a free Indie music festival in New Westminster on a Saturday in July. It’s an “ultimate street party” and highly recommended!
New Westminster’s TD Uptown Live
The TD Uptown Live Street Party is an annual one-day event that features live music, the Cariboo Beer Garden, food trucks, artisans and interactive activities. There are four performance stages on site where artists entertain, including 2018 headliner Hey Ocean!
For information about the festival’s schedule, location and 2018 concert lineup, see below or check out the Uptown Live website.
When and Where
In 2018 Uptown Live took place on Saturday, July 21, from noon until 9 pm.
The event takes place rain or shine in the heart of the Uptown district of New Westminster in and around the intersection of Sixth Avenue and Sixth Street.
What to Expect at Uptown Live
At TD Uptown Live, expect to hear lots of great live music, enjoy tasty food truck treats, and see thousands of people having a fantastic time.
The event is held in the heart of New Westminster and extends over 6 full blocks, primarily along Sixth Street and Sixth Avenue in the Uptown part of the city. As many as 30,000 people attended in 2018.
At Uptown Live there are four stages for live music – two along Sixth Street, one at Sixth Avenue and Seventh Street, and an acoustic stage in the plaza at the entrance to London Drugs on Sixth Street.
Performing at the event each year are various up-and-coming BC-based Indie bands. Throughout the area there are artisan vendors, sponsor activations, kids’ activities and interactive exhibits.
The Cariboo Beer Garden is located on Sixth Street between Sixth Avenue and Princess Street. More than 20 food trucks are located on site serving up yummy food selections.
2018 Uptown Concert Lineup
Bands performing at New Westminster’s Uptown Live Street Party in 2018 included the following:
- Air Stranger – a Funk and Alternative Rock band that is also playing at the Vancouver International Jazz Festival in 2018.
- Antonio Larosa – a Burnaby-based singer, songwriter and guitar player.
- Belcarra – a Vancouver-based Indie Rock band that tied for 1st place at the Sham Rocks Music Festival last year.
- Ché Aimee Dorval – a Vancouver Folk and Alternative musician.
- Daniel James’ Brass Camel – a Vancouver-based Progressive Funk musician.
- Disco Funeral – the Vancouver band featuring Justin Reist on vocals and percussion, Johnny K on bass guitar, Dave Malcolm on bass and guitar, Kaelen Jarvis on keyboards, Jae Kim on drums and Scotty Vigue on trumpet and accordion.
- The Echos – the Folk and Pop music duo of Jess Cichos and Nicole Broughton.
- Gentle Mind – the 3-person R&B and Alternative Rock band of Camille Brown, Michael Oliver and Tobi Amoo.
- Gleneagle – a 4-person band originally from Kamloops BC.
- Hey Ocean! – a Vancouver-based Classic Pop, Indie and Alternative Rock group featuring band members Ashleigh Ball, David Vertes and David Beckingham.
- John Welsh & Los Valientes – a Reggae, Latin, World, Surf and Folk Rock band from Mission, BC.
- Ludic – the young Funk, Blues, Jazz, and Soul band of Ayla Tesler-Mabe, Max Cunningham and Rhett Cunningham.
- Kow Kanda – a band of African, American, Canadian and Latin musicians.
- Major Fantasy – a Vancouver-based Rock band.
- Sam Lynch – a Vancouver-based singer and songwriter.
- Sam the Astronaut – the Indie Pop duo of TJ Gibson and Garrison Johnson from Port Moody.
- The Faceplants – a Rock, Pop and Reggae band from Vancouver.
- The Tourist Company – the Vancouver-based Alternative band of Taylor Swindells and Brenon Parry. Awards this duo has received include the CBC Searchlight Regional Championship (2014), Peak Performance Project 2014 Top 3, and The Georgia Straight Best Records of 2016.
2018 Festival Schedule
Below is the live music schedule for the festival in 2018. (Note: Times and performer details are subject to change.)
On the TD Main Stage
- 12:00 pm – The Faceplants
- 1:00 pm – Che’ Aimee Dorval
- 2:00 pm – Disco Funeral
- 3:00 pm – Sam the Astronaut
- 4:00 pm – The Tourist Company
- 5:00 pm – John Welsh & Los Valientes
- 6:00 pm – Kow Kanda
- 7:00 pm – Daniel James’ Brass Camel
- 8:00 pm – Hey Ocean!
On the Douglas College Main Stage
- 12:30 pm – Antonio Larosa
- 1:30 pm – The Escapes
- 2:30 pm – Air Stranger
- 3:30 pm – Kow Kanda
- 4:30 pm – Disco Funeral
- 5:30 pm – The Tourist Company
- 6:30 pm – Sam the Astronaut
On the Key West Ford Main Stage
- 12:30 pm – Gentle Mind
- 1:30 pm – Sam Lynch
- 2:30 pm – Belcarra
- 3:30 pm – Ludic
- 4:30 pm – Major Fantasy
- 5:30 pm – Gleneagle
- 6:30 pm – The Echos
On the London Drugs Plaza Stage
- 12:30 pm – Shaun Rawlins
- 1:30 pm – Tyler Bartfai
- 2:30 pm – Antonio Larosa
- 3:30 pm – Rachael Schroeder
- 4:30 pm – Mad for Joy
- 5:30 pm – Kaya Kurz
Tips and Advice
Below are some suggestions and information to help you make the most out of your experience at the Uptown Live event.
TIP #1: There is free all-day parking during the event at both the Royal City Centre (at 610 Sixth Street with the parkade entrance on Seventh Street) and Westminster Centre (at 555 Sixth Street with access southbound on Fifth Street). There is also metered street parking throughout the area.
TIP #2: Street closures begin at 7 am on Sixth Street, Sixth Avenue, Belmont Street and Princess Street. Take public transit if you can.
TIP #3: If you like live music and urban street festivals, go to Uptown Live! It’s a great event, and it’s free!
For further details about the event, check out the Uptown Live website.
For more information about the city where the event takes place, click New Westminster.
For ideas on other things to do in the Lower Mainland at different times of the year, visit Vancouver’s Best Places’ Festivals & Events Calendar.