Tip a Wee Dram is a whisky-tasting fundraising event that raises money for the Vancouver-based cancer-related charity Callanish on March 10 in 2018.
Tip a Wee Dram 2018
The Tip a Wee Dram takes place in March each year at the Scottish Cultural Centre at 8886 Hudson Street in South Vancouver not far from the Fraser River and Arthur Laing Bridge.
On the Saturday in 2018 there’s a Master Class event at 5 pm, a VIP start at 6 pm, and general admission beginning at 7 pm.
Tickets in 2018 are $140 for the Master Class event, $120 for VIP tickets and $90 for general admission.
For more information or to purchase tickets, click Tip a Wee Dram.
About the Whisky Event
The mission of the Tip a Wee Dram event is to “raise spirits and money by nurturing love and community for those touched by cancer.” It does this by selling tickets and inviting the public to an evening of whisky tasting.
Since its launch in 2010 the event has raised close to $170,000 and been attended by some 2,000 local whisky lovers. The goal in 2018 is to bring the total raised to date to over $200,000.
At a typical Tip a Wee Dram event there are 50 or more different whiskies to sample, light snacks and several dozen auction items to bid on.
Scotch whiskies you might find at the event include Aberfeldy, Glendronach, Glen Scotia, Kilchoman, Tullibardine, Lock Lomond and Glencadem. Past events have also featured Jack Daniel’s, Eligjah Craig, Evan Willimas, Four Roses and Gentleman Jack from the United States, as well as White Owl and Centennial Rye Whisky from Canada, among others.
In addition to being a fun occasion with plenty of whisky, Tip a Wee Dram is a fundraising event benefiting the Callanish charity. Net revenues averaging close to 90% of sales go directly to the charity, which is impressive!
Callanish is a registered non-profit charitable organization that provides week-long retreats to people with cancer and supports patients, their loved ones and their health care providers. It’s based in Vancouver at 2277 West 10th Avenue and has been formally in operation since 1997.
For more information about the organization, see the Callanish website.
Tips and Advice
Below are some suggestions and useful information to help you make the most out of your Tip a Wee Dram experience.
- TIP #1: If you like whisky, then you won’t want to miss this event. It’s fun, tasty and for a good cause!
- TIP #2: Plan how to get home afterwards in advance. Don’t drink and drive (and don’t go to the event if you don’t plan to drink – that would be silly and a waste of good whisky)!
- TIP #3: A complimentary shuttle service is available to and from the Marine Drive SkyTrain Station at Cambie and Marine Drive.
- TIP #4: Go with a group of friends. The more the merrier!
- TIP #5: Buy your tickets early. The event sells out well in advance!
For tickets and more information about the Whisky event, check out the Tip a Wee Dram website.
Other similar events at other times of the year include the following:
- Harrison Wine Festival – in the spring
- Vancouver International Wine Festival – in the spring
- Vancouver Hop Scotch Festival – in the fall
- Vancouver Oktoberfest Beer Events – in the fall
- Tri-City International Wine Festival – in the fall
Other topics that might be of interest include the following: