To book a show see the Vancouver TheatreSports website.
What’s Showing at Vancouver Theatresports?
The following Vancouver TheatreSports shows are currently playing at the Improv Centre on Granville Island in January and February of 2020.
- Classic TheatreSports: Laugh Til Your Face Hurts – two teams of actors compete in a series of improv theatre matches on most Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings.
- OK Tinder: Swipe Right Comedy – a one-hour show with a Vancouver dating-scene theme. It takes place on most (but not all) Thursday evenings. (Note: the final day of the season for this show is March 26th, 2020.)
- The Late Show – edgy and uncensored improv comedy theatre for adults-only (ages 19+) takes place on Saturdays at 11:15 pm. Tickets cost about $10.
- Rookie Night – Sunday evenings feature rookie actors who have completed improv training through the Improv Comedy Institute. Tickets start at $8.75 (which is less expensive than other shows).
- Frisky Friday – comedy theatre where the actors “explore the funny side of naughty.” These performances are for adults only (ages 19+) and take place most Fridays at 11:15 pm.
Vancouver TheatreSports usually runs one or two different shows on Wednesdays and Thursdays, and two or three different shows on Fridays (including a feature show, Classic TheatreSports and Frisky Friday). On Saturdays there are again two or three different shows (but this time a feature show, Classic TheatreSports and The Late Show). Sundays is always Rookie Night.
There are usually no shows on Mondays, and shows on Tuesdays only during peak seasons. Feature shows usually run for a limited time and have a seasonal theme (like for Christmas or Valentine’s Day). When there is no feature show then there is usually an extra performance of Classic TheatreSports instead.
For tickets and more information, see the Vancouver TheatreSports website.
Vancouver TheatreSports Improv Comedy Club
Vancouver TheatreSports is a highly-acclaimed Vancouver-based improv comedy company. Throughout the year they run a variety of shows and classes from family-friendly comedy to adults-only to seasonal classics.
Founded in 1980, Vancouver TheatreSports first resided in the Back Alley Theatre. Throughout the years it has consistently drawn large crowds and now has its own theatre, The Improv Centre on Granville Island.
Vancouver TheatreSports has won multiple International Improv Comedy Awards as well as starred in several television specials. They run 11 or so shows a week, 52 weeks a year, during which they entertain more than 60,000 people annually.
Improv Centre Location
The Improv Centre is owned by Vancouver TheatreSports and is located at 1502 Duranleau Street on Granville Island by False Creek in downtown Vancouver. It’s near the entrance to Granville Island not far from the Kids’ Market and Granville Island Brewing.
Note: Pay parking is in effect throughout Granville Island between 11 am and 6 pm. That’s okay though as most shows at the Improv Centre take place in the evening, so when parking is free.
Shows with Vancouver TheatreSports are very affordable. Tickets for regular performances that last for about an hour or ninety minutes cost between $8.75 and $18.75 for adults, or either $8.75 or $10 for students and seniors (with valid ID) depending on the day.
Sundays are when shows are least expensive (when seats are just $8.75 for everyone), followed by the 11:15 pm late shows on Fridays and Saturdays (when tickets cost $10).
Performances on Tuesdays (when they have them) and Wednesdays cost about $15.75 for adults and $10.75 for students and seniors. Tickets on Thursdays cost the same for the 9:15 shows, or $1 more for adults at the 7:30 shows.
On Fridays and Saturdays theatre seating is available at the 7:30 and 9:30 shows for either $18.75 or $24.75, or either $20.25 or $26.25 for a seat at a table.
(Note: The above prices are for regular (i.e., non-special events) as of early 2020. Prices are subject to change.)
For tickets and exact prices visit the Vancouver TheatreSports website.
What Is Improv?
Improv, or improvisational theatre, is a form of live theatre that is unscripted and unplanned. Most often improv is done in the comedy genre.
In a typical improv show a team (or teams) of actors do short skits. They are given scenes to play out (sometimes with input provided randomly by the crowd) and the actors have to perform on the spot. It’s typically very funny and not infrequently involves singing and audience participation.
On different days and times of the year the shows have different themes. There are Christmas-themed shows in December, nights with dating and romance themes around Valentine’s Day, and skits about mothers and mothers-in-law around Mother’s Day.
Things to Know About the Shows
Below is some useful information to help you make the most out of your theatresports experience on Granville Island.
- Tickets can be purchased for performances either online or at the venue.
- When arriving for a show, Vancouver TheatreSports recommends going early, around 30 or so minutes before show time. Don’t arrive late or you won’t be allowed in (at least not until the intermission) as it’s disruptive for the performers and other guests.
- Shows that are 90 minutes in length have an intermission and during that time latecomers can generally get in then. Performances with a duration of an hour or less, however, do not have intermissions.
- The same as with movie cinemas and other live theatre venues, attendees are asked to turn off their phones during performances and neither photos nor video recordings are permitted. You can, however, take photos before and after each show as well as during the intermission.
- Food and beverages are available for purchase at the bar and in the lounge. Anything bought at the venue can also be brought into the show, which is great! Outside food and drinks, however, are not permitted.
- As some of the content is more for mature audiences, viewer discretion is recommended. Children under the age of 8 are not permitted to attend, and anyone between the ages of 8 and 18 must be accompanied by an adult aged 19 or older. The late comedy shows are just for adults ages 19+.
- The Improv Centre is wheelchair accessible. As accessible seating is limited, however, guests are advised to contact the Box Office at least a full day before a show and the booking of tickets.
For tickets and to see what’s showing click Vancouver TheatreSports.
The Improv Comedy Institute
In addition to their theatre shows, Vancouver TheatreSports also runs improv classes through their Improv Comedy Institute. There are classes for every acting skill level from beginner to advanced.
Similar to their Improv Comedy Institute, Vancouver TheatreSports also runs improv classes and workshops for businesses. They also do improv for events and produce over 150 custom shows for corporations and other organizations every year.
For more details about the venue and its shows see the official Vancouver TheatreSports website.
For an idea of what to expect at special holiday season-themed performances, see our article about Vancouver TheatreSports Valentine’s Shows.
Other articles that might be of interest include the following:
- Lower Mainland Festivals & Events
- Vancouver Shows & Entertainment Calendar
- Vancouver Theatres and Theatre Companies
- Granville Island