Communities across Metro Vancouver and the Lower Mainland host family-friendly Santa Claus parades close to Christmas time to celebrate the holiday season.
Santa Claus Parades Around The Lower Mainland in 2019
Santa Claus parades are a great way to experience family-friendly fun and get into the holiday spirit. A number of Christmas parades take place in communities across the region. All of them are free to attend and most accept donations for worthy charitable causes.
Check out our list of parades below to find one in or near your community.
Saturday, November 30, 2019
- Squamish Santa Claus Parade – a Christmas parade featuring close to four dozen floats and other entries along Cleveland Avenue starting at 5:00 pm in Squamish. This family-friendly event features carolers and floats decorated by local people and businesses. Folk can also visit the Ledge Community Coffee House at 38055 Cleveland Avenue where they can take photos with Santa and Mrs. Claus and enjoy live music.
- Light Up Bowen Lantern Festival – the Christmas-themed community event on Bowen Island runs from 5:30 until about 8:00 pm. It includes a small parade from the Village Square down to the Union Steamship Marina. At the festival there are also lantern decorations, carol singing, a Nativity play and various other family-friendly activities. At the event Santa Claus arrives at the island by boat.
What else is happening in the Lower Mainland on November 30th in 2019? The Shipyards Christmas Festival is a free community event with live entertainment, ice skating and an artisan market at North Vancouver’s Shipyards from 3:00 until 7:00 pm. In Abbotsford there is also the Kickoff to Christmas Makers Market between 10:00 and 4:00 pm at Exhibition Park at 32470 Haida Drive in Abbotsford.
Sunday, December 1, 2019
- Vancouver Santa Claus Parade – the parade in downtown Vancouver is an annual event that attracts hundreds of thousands of people in years with good weather. Pre-parade activities happen in the plaza outside the Vancouver Art Gallery from 10:00 am until noon. The parade itself starts at around 12:00 pm and goes along Georgia Street and Howe Street. Folk are invited to bring a donation for the Greater Vancouver Food Bank Society, but the event itself is free.
- Surrey Santa Parade of Lights – a Christmas parade in Cloverdale at night. The parade is inspired by a soft drink commercial from 1997 and features a variety of lit-up trucks, cars and other vehicles. Food and other items are available for purchase along the route and all proceeds benefit the Surrey Food Bank and Christmas Bureau. The parade starts at 5:00 pm and it’s free to attend (but donations are encouraged).
Friday, December 6, 2019
- Mission Candlelight Parade – celebrating its 35th year, the parade takes place along First Avenue and Lougheed Highway in downtown Mission. The procession goes west from around Horne Street along the Lougheed Highway to Park Street. It starts at 7:30 pm and the festivities finish by 10 o’clock. Dozens of local retailers are open late that night and various restaurants in town give out free hot drinks.
Saturday, December 7, 2019
- Maple Ridge Christmas Festival – a free community Christmas event and evening parade at the Memorial Peace Park in Maple Ridge. The festival takes place prior to the parade, from 4:00 to 6:00 pm, and it features crafts, photos with Santa and other family-friendly activities. The parade takes place at 6:00 pm and features a few floats, a marching band, people on horses, a fire truck and Santa.
- Langley Magic of Christmas – a full day event held in Langley City, the Magic of Christmas features several family-friendly activities at various times throughout the day. Breakfast with Santa runs from 9:00 to 11:00 am and there’s live entertainment and crafts from 4:00 to 6:00 pm. The Santa Claus parade takes place from 6:00 to 7:00 pm and the day concludes with a tree lighting ceremony from 7:00 to 7:30 pm.
- Chilliwack Rotary Christmas Parade – a Christmas parade begins at 5:30 pm and loops through downtown Chilliwack starting and finishing at Spadina Avenue. Free transit is available all day on the day of the parade so there’s no need to worry about parking or traffic. The event is free and family-friendly.
Saturday, December 14, 2019
- Aldergrove Christmas Lights Up Parade – a community Santa Claus parade in Aldergrove beginning at 6:00 pm. Expect to see large trucks with lights, tractors and floats participating in the parade. After the parade there is an after-party hosted at the Elks Hall at 27309 Fraser Highway that features music, crafts and other family-friendly activities.
Sunday, December 15, 2019
- New Westminster Santa Claus Parade – the parade along Columbia Street runs between 11:00 am and 12:00 pm from start to finish. It features marching bands, politicians waving from cars, decorated floats and Santa Claus. The parade runs for only a few blocks, from around Fourth Street until Eighth, and lasts for up to about 45 minutes or so.
Tuesday, December 24, 2019
- Santa Claus Parade – the Christmas parade in Richmond take places on Christmas Eve in 2019 in Steveston Village from 6:00 until around 8:00 pm. The procession starts at the corner of Regent Street and 6th Avenue. It’s a free event although donations of cash and non-perishable food to the Richmond Food Bank are greatly appreciated.
Other articles that might be of interest include the following:
- Vancouver’s December Calendar
- Festivals & Events Calendar
- Free December Events
- Best Vancouver Christmas Activities
- Top Things to do at Christmas
- Vancouver Christmas Craft Fairs
- Vancouver Christmas Concerts
- Christmas Theatre in December