The Chilliwack Mural Festival is a celebration of street art in the summer. It features live music, market vendors, food trucks and more in downtown Chilliwack.
Presented by the Chilliwack Arts Council, the festival ran on August 10th, 11th and 12th in 2023. Exact dates and details for the festival in August 2024 are still to be determined.
Visit chilliwackmuralfestival.com for the event’s official website.
Chilliwack Mural Festival
The Chilliwack Mural Festival is a fun showcase of street art that takes place in August. The festival features murals made by a diverse group of artists from both the Lower Mainland and around the world.
The festival is an opportunity to watch murals being painted live and to check out already existing murals in the Chilliwack community. Guided tours can be booked for large groups, and a map with mural locations is available online.
The three-day festival also has other family-friendly events. In 2023 there was an Indigenous art talk, a night of entertainment and a street party.
The 2023 Chilliwack Mural Festival ran from Thursday, August 10th, until Saturday, August 12th. Each day featured a different event. There was a reception, and evening with music and dancing in the street, and a street party in the heart of downtown.
Thursday, August 10th, 2023
The first day of the festival featured an artist talk with local Indigenous talent. Stó:lō artists and storytellers shared personal experiences and art techniques related to their culture.
The Stories About Place + Reception event ran from 7:30 pm to 9:30 pm.
Friday, August 11th, 2023
Friday was the official opening night of the festival. It was an evening of live entertainment and a chance to check out the murals. Performers at the event included Beatboxing Vino & CiMax, girly, Hayley Willis, Naduh and Saint Soldier. There were also circus performances to enjoy.
The festivities on the Friday ran from 4:30 pm until 10:00 pm at District 1881 which is at 46140 Yale Road in downtown Chilliwack.
Saturday, August 12th, 2023
The main street party event happened in downtown Chilliwack on the Saturday from 11:00 am until 4:00 pm. It was a day full of family-friendly fun. Folks could watch artists paint murals in-person. Also on-site on the Saturday was a market, an art table with kids activities and a variety of food trucks.
The Saturday event featured three stages with live entertainment. Performers on the Sasquatch Stage included House of the Future, Like Bears, semi athletic, The Unbranded and Villain Villain. Meanwhile, the Rainbow Stage featured lower case dreams, Mike Edel, Oleefia and Robyn Froese. There was also a Cultural Stage with Bhangra, Indigenous hoop dancing, Hip Hop dance battles and the Vijay Brass Band.
The Chilliwack Mural Festival features both local and international artists. The lineup also includes many styles of art created from different perspectives.
In 2023 there were six artists painting for the festival. Their names and home towns are listed below.
- Carolyn Wong (Vancouver, BC)
- Curtis Hylton (Hampshire, England)
- HENGone (Marseille, France)
- Jared Deck (Chilliwack, BC)
- Ronnie Harris (New Westminster, BC)
- SATR (Guangzhou, China)
To learn more about each artist, visit the official Chilliwack Mural Festival Artists page.
There are dozens of murals to check out in Chilliwack and new paintings are added each year. Mural locations and artists include the following:
- District 1881 Woolly Dog Alley (Chase Gray, Malik Arts)
- District 1881 Back Parking Lot (Carrielynn Victor)
- 45863 Kipp Avenue (Hoxxoh)
- 9248 Main Street (Emmanuel Jarus)
- 9264 Main Street (Chantelle Trainor-Matties)
- 9282 Main Street (Jullian Mundy, Ankh One & Nicole Boyce)
- 9340 Main Street (Chris Perez)
- 9341 Mill Street (Druvid)
- 9345 Mill Street (Oxana Gaidasheva)
- 9360 Mill Street (Tierney Milne, Siobhan D’Souza, Lacey & Layla)
- 9369 Mill Street (Lucas Simpson)
- 9371 Mill Street (Andrew Tavukciyan)
- 9381 Mill Street (Kyle Mirva)
- 45925 Victoria Avenue (Chantelle Trainor-Matties)
- 45951 Victoria Avenue (Kevin Ledo)
- 45886 Wellington Avenue (Jason Botkin)
- 45915b Wellington Avenue (Marianne Palmer)
- 45929 Wellington Avenue (Carrielynn Victor)
- 45939 Wellington Avenue (Mavik, Art Direct West)
- 45947 Wellington Avenue (Kyle Mirva)
- 46115 Yale Road (Mavik)
- 46199 Yale Road (Raven-Tacuara)
Visit the Chilliwack Mural Festival website for full details.
For more information about the festival, visit the Chilliwack Mural Festival website.
Other events happening in Chilliwack in the summer and early fall include the following:
- Chilliwack Fair & Rodeo – a country fair and rodeo at Chilliwack Heritage Park.
- Chilliwack Pride Festival – festivities celebrating the 2SLGBTQIA+ community in downtown Chilliwack.
- Timbersports National Championships – a sporting event at the Chilliwack Coliseum (but only in 2023).
- Chilliwack Flight Fest – an air show with free admission at the Chilliwack Airport.
- Chilliwack Ribfest – BBQ-ed rib vendors, live entertainment and family-friendly activities at Vedder Park.
- The Chilliwack Sunflower Festival – a farm with sunflowers to admire in the fall (as well as tulips in the spring).
- Chilliwack Corn Maze – a corn maze, pumpkin patch and child-friendly activities at Greendale Acres.
- Peteys Pumpkin Patch – a corn maze, pumpkin patch and kid-friendly activities at Fantasy Farms in autumn.
- Reapers Maze of Terror – a serious outdoor haunted attraction in October at Fantasy Farms.
Other articles that might be of interest include the following:
- Vancouver Mural Festival
- Vancouver Summer Activities
- August Calendar of Events
- Festivals and Events in Vancouver