One of the best ways to treat your mother special on Mother’s Day is to take her out for a brunch buffet at one of Vancouver’s best restaurants.
Many places offer special Mother’s Day brunch buffets, but below are some of our favourites.
CORONAVIRUS & MOTHER’S DAY BRUNCHES
Conditions were far from ideal for Mother’s Day brunch opportunities this last year. The government ordered restaurants to stop offering dine-in services in late March due to the COVID-19 pandemic. As of early May, 2020, most spring and early summer events were cancelled. This included Mother’s Day brunches at area restaurants.
Whether Mother’s Day brunches are possible in 2021 is to be determined. Hopefully the coronavirus will be under control by then. If dine-in brunch opportunities are possible, however, they likely won’t be the same as usual. Hopefully they can happen, and safely. If they do though, don’t expect to be able to serve yourself. Instead, expect fewer people in restaurants, servers wearing masks and few if any common touch points.
To give you an idea of what might be possible in 2021, all things going well, below is information about Mother’s Day brunch options that are available most years (just not in 2020).
Vancouver Mother’s Day Brunches
In 2020 Mother’s Day was on Sunday, May 10th. In 2021 it’s on May 9th. In years when restaurants are allowed to offer sit-down service, best places for brunch fill up quickly. Be sure to make your reservations far in advance.
Below you’ll find a list of restaurants that offer Mother’s Day brunch buffets most years.
This article lists Mother’s Day buffets in the following locations:
Click on any of the above links to jump to a specific location, or continue reading to see the entire list.
(Note: Prices, menu items and other restaurant details are subject to change.)
Brunch in Vancouver
Mother’s Day brunches take place at various restaurants within the City of Vancouver including on Granville Island and near Canada Place. Below is a list of restaurants that had great buffets a couple of years ago and will hopefully do so again in 2021.
Brunch On Granville Island
- Dockside Restaurant – the casual fine dining restaurant on Granville Island offered a 2019 Mother’s Day brunch buffet at $74.95 for adults and $34.95 for children ages 10 and under (which were the same prices as the year before). Seating times were at 10:00 am and 1:00 pm. Menu items included fresh pastries, eggs benedict, omelettes, waffles, pancakes, chilled seafood, salads, prime rib with Yorkshire pudding, roast chicken, barbecued pork, duck, fish and a selection of desserts. Call 604.685.7070 for reservations and book early as this is a very popular venue.
Brunch by Canada Place & Coal Harbour
- Arc – the Mother’s Day brunch at the Fairmont Waterfront Hotel at 900 Canada Place Way last year included hot meats, a kids’ buffet station and desserts, among other items. Seatings were at 10:00 and 12:00 pm. The cost was $99 for adults and $49.50 for children under age 12. This was the same as the year before, except that previously children under 6 years of age were free.
- Oceans 999 – in 2019 the brunch buffet ran from 10:30 am until 2:30 pm and cost $99 for adults, $95 for seniors and $49.50 for children ages 6 to 12. An 18% service charge and taxes were extra. The restaurant is located at 999 Canada Place in the Pan Pacific Hotel. 2020 times and prices will likely be similar.
- P2B Bistro – in 2019 the Mother’s Day brunch ran from 10:00 am until 2:00 pm and cost $69 for adults and $29 for children ages 6 to 12. Taxes and tip were extra. For comparison, the price the year before was $63 for adults and $28 for children.
Other Downtown Vancouver Mother’s Day Brunch Venues
Other restaurants offering brunch buffets on Mother’s Day last year included the following (and 2021 details are likely going to be similar):
- Stages Bistro & Lounge – the Mother’s Day brunch buffet at Vancouver’s Holiday Inn at 711 West Broadway last year ran from 11:30 am until 2:30 pm and cost $45 for adults and $22 for children ages 3 to 12. The buffet included an assortment of fresh pastries, deli meats, chilled seafood, prime rib, chicken, butternut squash ravioli, an omelette station, pancakes, bacon, sausages, eggs benedict, cheeses and desserts. The price also included complimentary parking and a free carnation for moms. Click Stages Mother’s Day Brunch to see the full menu.
- Boulevard Kitchen & Oyster Bar – an award-winning upscale seafood restaurant at 845 Burrard Street near Robson. Their Mother’s Day brunch usually runs from 10:30 am until 3:00 pm and costs $80 plus tip and taxes for adults and $35 for children (ages 3 to 12). 2021 details are to be confirmed.
- Mosaic Grille & Bar – the buffet at the Hyatt Regency at 655 Burrard Street usually runs from about 11:00 am until 2:00 pm. The cost in 2019 was $70 per adult and $35 for children ages 12 and under.
- Notch8 – the buffet at the Fairmont Vancouver Hotel‘s restaurant at 900 West Georgia Street usually runs from 11:30 am until 2:30 pm and costs around $79.00 (plus tip and taxes) for adults and $39.50 for children (ages 12 and under). 2021 details are to be confirmed.
Mother’s Day Buffets in Burnaby
- Hart House – in 2019 the buffet at the historic building at 6664 Deer Lake Avenue cost $54 for folk ages 11 and older. Children between the ages of 4 and 10 cost $20. Menu items included fruit, yogurts, cheeses, salads, baked goods, roast beef, salmon, pasta, eggs, French toast and an assortment of desserts. Taxes and tips were extra. Parties of 8 or more people were subject to an 18% gratuity charge and credit card details were required at the time of booking. 2020 details will likely be similar.
- TIP: Before or after your meal, be sure to admire the gardens in the park or go for a walk around Deer Lake.
- Reflect – the restaurant at the Hilton Metrotown at 6083 McKay Avenue usually has a buffet brunch from 10:00 am until 3:00 pm. The cost last year was $60 for adults, $29 for children ages 6 to 12, and free for kids ages 5 and under. Taxes and gratuity were extra.
Brunch on the North Shore
- The Lobby – on Mother’s Day in 2019 the Pinnacle Hotel‘s restaurant at 138 Victory Ship Way in North Vancouver offered brunch sittings from 11:00 am until 2:00 pm. The cost was $59 for adults, $28 for children ages 6 to 12, and $5 for kids ages 5 and under. GST, 20% tip and online booking fees were extra, but underground parking was included.
- The Observatory – last year the buffet at Grouse Mountain took place in the Observatory restaurant and Timber Room from 9:00 am until 2:00 pm. The cost was $60 for adults, $25 for children ages 5 to 12, and free for folk ages 4 and under. For comparison, prices the year before were $55 for adults, $20 for children ages 5 to 11, and $12 for folk ages 2 to 4. The cost of brunch includes access to the resort up the Skyride Tram as well as tea, coffee, juice and soft drinks. Taxes, 18% tip and parking are extra.
Mother’s Day Buffets in Richmond
- Globe@YVR – the restaurant at the Fairmont Vancouver Airport Hotel usually offers a Mother’s Day Tea (as opposed to a standard brunch) with sittings at 11:00 am and 2:30 pm. The cost a couple of years ago was $69 (plus taxes and tip) and $34.50 for kids (ages 12 and under). 2021 will likely be similar, but details are to be confirmed.
Mother’s Day Buffets in Surrey
- Mixt Lobby Lounge – in 2019 the Mother’s Day brunch buffet at the Sheraton Guildford Hotel offered sittings at 10:30 and 11:00 am as well as at 1:00 and 1:30 pm. The cost was $58.95 for adults (which was about $4 more than the year before). Children between the ages of 5 and 12 cost $29.48 and little folk under 5 years of age were free. Taxes and tips were extra. Menu items last year included salads, chilled seafood, cured meats, omelettes, pancakes, eggs benedict, braised lamb, salmon, chicken, ravioli, roast beef and roast pork. For children there were also chicken fingers, macaroni and grilled cheese sandwiches. A selection of desserts as well as coffee, tea and juice were also included.
- Morgan Creek – the restaurant at the Morgan Creek Golf Course at 3500 Morgan Creek Way usually has a Mother’s Day brunch buffet with sittings at 10:30 am and 1:30 pm. The cost is about $46 for adults and $25 for children (ages 5 to 12). Taxes and tips are extra, but children ages 4 and under are free. 2021 details are to be confirmed.
Tips and Advice
Below are suggestions to help you make the most out of your Mother’s Day brunch experience.
TIP #1: The above restaurants usually fill up well in advance, so book early.
TIP #2: Many of the above restaurants are located in or near some of Vancouver’s best places, including beautiful parks and urban places of interest. Combine your meal out with a stroll with mom in the neighbourhood.
Note: Restaurant brunch buffet details may vary. See restaurant websites for exact details.
For other ideas on things to do with Mom, check out Mother’s Day in Vancouver.
For list of other events taking place in May, check out Vancouver’s Best Places’ Events Calendar.