Wondering what to do for Mother’s Day in Vancouver and what to get Mom? Then check out our list of gift ideas and experiences that will make her day special!
For a list of places to take Mom for a tasty meal, see our article about Vancouver Mother’s Day Brunches.
If you want ideas on experiential gifts to get your mother, continue reading.
What to Get Mom for Mother’s Day in 2022
Below are 24 ideas on things to give your mom (or grandmother, mother-in-law, or some other special person in your life). Some of the ideas are great for moms to do with their adult children. Others are fun for moms and grandmas to do with little kids. A couple of the ideas are tangible gifts, but most are experiences.
Places to Visit on or Before Mother’s Day
Here are some things you can do with your mother either on the Mother’s Day Weekend or just before:
- Take mom to the Kilby History Site for their Afternoon Tea on Sunday, May 8th. It’s a beautiful place and very interesting.
- Treat your mom to the musical HMS Pinafore. The Gilbert & Sullivan musical is performed by the Vancouver Opera at Queen Elizabeth Theatre on May 5th, 7th and 8th.
- Take your mother to the Art Vancouver art show at the Vancouver Convention Centre. It runs from Thursday, May 5th, until Sunday, May 8th. Enjoy all the hundreds of pieces of beautiful art made by BC-based artists, and maybe even buy something for your mom or even yourself!
- Check out Moms & Mimosas at the Improv Centre at Granville Island. It takes place on Sunday, May 8th, at 4:30 pm. The theatre also has live comedy shows on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays.
- Treat your mother to brunch at one of Vancouver’s Best Brunch Buffet Venues. There are some great places to choose from (assuming they aren’t already all booked up).
- Instead of taking Mom out for brunch, take her to the Coquitlam Community Block Party for some delicious food truck foods and live music. Hosted by the Greater Vancouver Food Truck Festival, the event happens on the Saturday and Sunday of May 7th and 8th at Town Centre Park.
Tickets to Buy and Future Places to Take Her
The following are places and events you can buy Mom tickets for now and then take her to on a later date in May or this summer. The first list is of events happening later in May. The second is of events taking place in the summer.
Upcoming Things to Do With Mom in May
- Treat your mother to a Vancouver International Wine Festival event. The festival runs from May 16th to 22nd. If you give her the tickets on Mother’s Day she’ll have something to look forward to (as will you if you buy tickets for yourself too).
- Buy tickets to the All British Field Meet at VanDusen Garden. The car show features hundreds of classic and vintage British vehicles on Saturday, May 21st. If she likes collectible cars, or beautiful gardens, she’ll love this event (and you will too)!
- Treat your mother to High Tea at the All British Field Meet car show at VanDusen Garden. Give her the ticket as a gift now and then take her to the event on the Victoria Day Long Weekend.
- Buy tickets for a night of comedy at the Just For Laughs Comedy Festival. Shows happen on May 6th as well as May 25th to 29th.
- If your mother likes comedy, then also take her to see Shaun Majumder when he performs his Love Tour show at the Massey Theatre in New Westminster on May 13th.
- Spoil your mother with tickets to see the Chor Leoni Men’s Choir. Their A Sound Like This concert happens at St. Andrew’s Wesley on May 12th and 13th. Their Vanman Summit Concert, meanwhile, is at the Chan Centre at UBC on May 14th. Chor Leoni is an exceptional choir!
- Buy tickets to see Jurassic Quest when it’s in town. The dinosaur exhibition is in Vancouver on May 13th to 15th and then later in Abbotsford on May 20th to 23rd. Mom will love it, and so will the kids!
Places to Take Mom in the Summer
- Book seats for the Royal Canadian International Circus. It comes to Surrey (from June 23rd until June 26th) and Richmond (from June 30th to July 3rd). It’s an awesome event for families (and doesn’t involve lions, tigers or other exotic animals – just amazing acrobats and other phenomenal human performers).
- TIP: Use the promo code VANSBESTPLACES and you’ll get 2-for-1 pricing when buying general admission tickets online.
- Treat Mom to an evening of live Jazz at the Odlum Brown Fort Langley Jazz & Arts Festival. Buy your tickets now for the concerts which take place between July 21st and 24th.
Other Special Experiences for Mom
Below is a list of experiential gifts you can give your mother. The first list is of places and activities in the City of Vancouver. The second is a list of activities elsewhere in the Lower Mainland and further afield.
Experiential Gifts in the City of Vancouver
- Go on a guided walking tour with Forbidden Vancouver. They have tours in Gastown, the West End, Stanley Park and elsewhere in downtown Vancouver. They are both very interesting and a lot of fun.
- Play an outdoor adventure game with Vancouver Mysteries. They have in-person games in downtown Vancouver as well as online games hosted by a live person that you can play from anywhere in the world.
- Sign up for a walking tour with Vancouver’s Historical Chinatown Tours and enjoy Chinese dumplings while you’re there.
- Go to a local museum or attraction. The Real Wild West is showing at FlyOver Canada. Or, if you use the promo code BESTVANCOUVER, you can save 25% on admission to the Vancouver Maritime Museum.
- Book a room at a downtown Vancouver hotel. It can be for yourself, or your mom, or the whole family. TIP: If you book the hotel through the website StayVancouverHotels.com you can get your choice of variety of different perks including tickets for different free activities.
Things to Do Elsewhere in the Region
- Go to a Local Farmers Market, buy some fresh produce and picnic ingredients, and then go enjoy the day with your mom and other family members at a nearby park. Farmers markets that are open on Sundays this time of year include ones in Ambleside, Coquitlam, Kitsilano, Steveston and White Rock. There are lots of markets on Saturdays too.
- If your mom lives in Victoria, go visit her there. Or, if you live in Victoria and she lives in the Lower Mainland, invite her to Victoria for a holiday. There is no better place to be in Canada on the Victoria Day Long Weekend than in Victoria, especially if you like parades. The Victoria Day Parade there is Canada’s biggest and it takes place on Monday, May 23rd.
- Treat Mom and the family to a day of adventure on the ropes courses and ziplines at WildPlay in Maple Ridge. That’s an experience she definitely won’t forget! It’s so much fun!
- Take mom and the kids to Stargazer at Tsawwassen Mills Mall. The place offers a really cool outer space experience!
Other articles that might be of interest include the following:
- Vancouver’s May Calendar of Events
- Free Vancouver Events in May
- Mother’s Day in Vancouver
- What’s Happening This Weekend
- Vancouver Mother’s Day Brunches