Canada Place is one of Vancouver‘s best places to visit in because of its views, interesting architecture, historical significance, attractive promenade walk and central location.
KING TUT AT CANADA PLACE!
Beyond King Tut is an immersive exhibition showcasing the life of King Tutankhamun, the famous Egyptian boy pharaoh. It comes to Vancouver, to Canada Place, in November of 2022.
Vancouver’s Canada Place
Built as the Canadian pavilion for the Expo ’86 world’s fair about 30 years ago, Canada Place is now part of Vancouver’s main convention centre along with the modern Vancouver Convention Centre building next door.
Designed in the form of a giant sailing ship, this is where many of Vancouver’s visiting Cruise Ships come to dock.
The address for Canada Place is 999 Canada Place. It’s located by the Vancouver Convention Centre about a 5-minute walk west of Waterfront Station in the heart of downtown Vancouver.
The outside deck at Canada Place goes all the way around (including up some stairs at one point). It makes for a pleasant walk with its views of the ocean and North Shore Mountains.
An attraction within Canada Place is the FlyOver Canada film experience, which is impressive. At the multi-sensory theatre, visitors watch a pre-show film about Canada and then strap themselves into their seats before going on a flying adventure over Canada, from coast to coast to coast.
In addition to its extensive conference facilities, Canada Place is home to the Pan Pacific Hotel which is one of Vancouver’s finest places to stay. Across the street is the Fairmont Waterfront Hotel, which also offers very nice accommodations.
Canada Place is conveniently close to Waterfront Station, which is Vancouver’s SeaBus and main SkyTrain terminus. It’s also near Gastown, Granville Street, and Coal Harbour and the Coal Harbour Seawall (which goes all the way to Stanley Park).
Canada Place is also not far from the Olympic Cauldron, which is just a five minute walk away on the other side of the Vancouver Convention Centre building.
Events at Canada Place
The following are a few of the biggest events that are held at Canada Place each year.
- Vancouver Fan Expo – the Vancouver equivalent to Comic-con with celebrity special guests, a ton of people wearing costumes and vendors selling all sorts of collectibles. This event takes place in February.
- BC Bike Show – bike enthusiasts will love this event as not only can you check out the newest advances in bike manufacturing but you can go for a ride yourself. There’s also the chance to meet professional BMX athletes. The event is held in March.
- Outdoor Adventure & Travel Show – this exhibition takes place at the same time as the Bike Show and admission for one gets you into the other. This show covers everything outdoorsy with travel tips, camping equipment and more.
In addition to the above and other conferences and trade shows, numerous events take place at Canada Place throughout the year, including the following:
- On Thursday evenings in July and August there are free outdoor movies shown at the end of the pier. Bring your blanket and a lawn chair!
- Canada Place is one of the best places in the Lower Mainland to celebrate Canada Day on July 1st.
- Zumba Classes take place in the summer on Mondays between 5:30 and 6:30 pm at the north end of Canada Place. Admission is free and no experience is necessary.
- In December Canada Place is lit up at night and has Christmas displays around its promenade deck. See Christmas at Canada Place for details.
To learn more about Vancouver’s famous building with the giant white sails, see the Canada Place website.
Other articles that might be of interest include the following:
- Vancouver Convention Centre
- FlyOver Canada
- Downtown Vancouver Hotels
- Vancouver Restaurants
- Vancouver Festivals & Events
- Vancouver Cruise Ship Information
- Coal Harbour
- Coal Harbour Seawall
- City of Vancouver