Waterfront Cinema is a series of free summer outdoor movies at Vancouver’s Canada Place on Thursday evenings between mid-July and the end of August.
Waterfront Cinema at Canada Place
In 2018 Waterfront Cinema takes place on the far northern end of the promenade deck at Canada Place on Thursday evenings from July 12th until August 31st. That means it starts two weeks earlier than last year!
The movies at Canada Place usually (but not always) feature at least one prominent Canadian actor and they start at dark, which means sometime between around 8 and shortly after 9 pm.
Canada Place is located at 999 Canada Place at the waterfront in Downtown Vancouver near the corner of Howe and West Waterfront Street. The venue for the movies is outside at the far northern tip of Canada Place.
2018 Waterfront Cinema Dates
In 2018 Waterfront Cinema takes place every Thursday evening from July 12th until August 31st. Showtimes begin between around 8 am and 9 pm, depending on when the sun sets.
2017 Canada Place Movies
The 2017 schedule of movies at Canada Place is listed below. The 2018 schedule will be similar, but with different movies.
- July 27, 2017 – La La Land: the 2016 PG-rated romantic musical comedy and winner of 6 Academy Awards stars Emma Stone and Canadian-born Ryan Gosling. The movie begins at around 9 pm.
- August 3, 2017 – Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom: the 1984 Steven Spielberg action film stars Harrison Ford and begins at around 8:55 pm. Rated PG.
- August 10, 2017 – Trolls: the Dreamworks computer-animated musical film starts at around 8:40 pm. Rated PG.
- August 17, 2017 – Miss Congeniality: the 2000 comedy starring Sandra Bullock and Michael Caine starts at around 8:30 pm. Rated PG-13.
- August 24, 2017 – Wayne’s World: the 1992 comedy about a couple of rock and roll fans stars Canadian Mike Myers along with Dana Carvey. The show starts at dark, so at around 8:15 pm. Rated PG.
- August 31, 2017 – The Sound of Music: the classic 1965 musical stars Julie Andrews and Canadian Christopher Plummer. Show time is at around 8 pm and the film is suitable for all audiences.
Tips & Advice
Below is a list of tips to help you make the most out of your Waterfront Cinema experience.
TIP #1: Take a lawn chair to sit on, plus a blanket and warm sweaters to keep warm after the sun goes down.
TIP #2: Arrive early to claim a good spot to sit.
TIP #3: If going in a group, have one person save your spot and watch your belongings, and then go explore the area until show time. Heading west, the seawall around the Convention Centre and along the Coal Harbour waterfront is a beautiful place for a stroll. In the other direction, past Waterfront Station, is Gastown.
For more details about the outdoor summer movies at Canada Place, click Waterfront Cinema.