Waterfront Cinema is a series of free summer outdoor movies at Vancouver’s Canada Place on Thursday evenings between mid-July and the end of August.
Waterfront Cinema at Canada Place
In 2019 Waterfront Cinema takes place on the far northern end of the promenade deck at Canada Place on Thursday evenings from July 11th until August 29th.
The movies at Canada Place usually (but not always) feature at least one prominent Canadian actor and they start at dark, which means sometime between around 8 and shortly after 9 pm.
Canada Place is located at 999 Canada Place at the waterfront in Downtown Vancouver near the corner of Howe and West Waterfront Street. The venue for the movies is outside at the far northern tip of Canada Place.
2019 Canada Place Movies and Dates
In 2019 Waterfront Cinema takes place every Thursday evening from July 11th until August 29th. Show times begin between around 8 am and 9 pm depending on when the sun sets.
(Note: Dates and movie details are subject to change. Films might also be cancelled due to poor weather.)
- July 11, 2019 – Captain Marvel: the newest hero introduced to the Marvel Universe, this film follows Carol Danvers, an air force pilot who gains super powers after a freak accident and must save the earth from aliens.
- July 18, 2019 – Crazy Rich Asians: a romantic comedy based on a best-selling book, the story follows Chinese American Rachel Chu as she travels to Singapore to meet her boyfriend’s family after which chaos ensues.
- July 25, 2019 – Elf: this film follows Buddy, a child raised by elves, who adventures out into the world to find his real parents.
- August 1, 2019 – Shazam: the story of Billy Batson, a foster kid who is bestowed with super powers which are activated by saying the word Shazam!
- August 8, 2019 – Beauty and the Beast: starring Emma Watson, this classic fairy tale follows Belle on her adventures to save her father and, in the process, find true love with an unlikely character.
- August 15, 2019 – How to Train your Dragon: The Hidden World: an adventure following Hiccup and Toothless on their journey to find the hidden world of dragons to save both their village and the dragons.
- August 22, 2019 – Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse: Miles Morales becomes a new Spider-Man and meets many different Spider-Men on his journey through dimensions to save his city.
- August 29, 2019 – Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: on the 30th anniversary of this film, the adventure that follows Indiana Jones on his quest to find the Holy Grail is again on the big screen.
Tips & Advice
Below is a list of tips to help you make the most out of your Waterfront Cinema experience.
TIP #1: Take a lawn chair to sit on, plus a blanket and warm sweaters to keep warm after the sun goes down.
TIP #2: Arrive early to claim a good spot to sit.
TIP #3: If going in a group, have one person save your spot and watch your belongings, and then go explore the area until show time. Heading west, the seawall around the Convention Centre and along the Coal Harbour waterfront is a beautiful place for a stroll. In the other direction, past Waterfront Station, is Gastown.
For more details about the outdoor summer movies at Canada Place, click Waterfront Cinema.