Spooky activities take place in Vancouver in October including haunted houses, trick-or-treating, costume parties and other Halloween events.
There are activities appropriate for children of all ages, and other happenings just for adults.
Halloween in Vancouver
Halloween highlights in the Lower Mainland include especially frightening things like the PNE’s Fright Nights, but also other great fun stuff like dressing up at work and trick-or-treating with children around the neighbourhood.
NOTE: Tonight, Halloween Night, fireworks and family-friendly activities take place at Richmond’s Minoru Park. Click Richmond Halloween Fireworks for details.
Halloween happenings that take place in Metro Vancouver most years include the following:
- Stanley Park Ghost Train – Family-friendly miniature train rides with a Halloween theme. In 2017 the train runs every day from October 13th until Halloween.
- Bear Creek Halloween Trains – Child-friendly Halloween Pumpkin Express miniature train rides in Surrey are from 10 am until 4:30 pm from October 7th until the 31st in 2017. Cost is $11. The Haunted Forest Scream Train is at the same place, costs $1 more, runs from 6:30 to 10 pm from October 7th until the 31st and includes additional frightening stuff.
Special Halloween Events
- Halloween Parade – A fun family-friendly parade between Drake and Smithe, along Howe Street and Granville on Sunday, October 15, starting at 11 am.
- Thrill the World Vancouver – a short zombie dance event in Vancouver’s Olympic Village on the last Saturday afternoon in October, so in 2017 it’s on October 28th at 3 pm.
- Parade of Lost Souls – An annual grassroots parade event where the location isn’t revealed until midnight on the Friday before Halloween (although one can assume it’ll be somewhere in the Commercial Drive neighbourhood). The parade takes place on the last Saturday of the month from around 7 to 10 pm. Donations of $5 are encouraged to help support the event. A Lost Souls After-Party also takes place from around 9 pm to 2 am for which ticket prices range from about $20 to $30 depending on when you get them.
- Night for All Souls – free Halloween-type activities in the evening at Vancouver’s Mountain View Cemetery on Saturday, October 28th.
- Halloween Fireworks – music, kids activities, fire juggling, a magic show and fireworks at Minoru Park at 7191 Granville Avenue in Richmond on October 31st in the evening (Free).
- For more special events click Halloween Weekend or Halloween for Adults.
Ongoing Haunted Attractions
- Burnaby’s Haunted Village – Although free in the summer, admission at Burnaby Village during this family-friendly event is about $14 for adults, seniors and youth, and $9 for children ages 2 to 12. Halloween activities include trick-or-treating, live entertainment and free carousel rides (which normally cost a couple of dollars). Open on the last few days of October between 6:00 and 9:00 pm.
- Fright Nights – Playland’s annual Halloween celebrations take place at the PNE grounds at 2901 East Hastings Street and feature half a dozen haunted houses and over a dozen rides. Tickets range from about $25 to $45 for general admission at the gate depending on the date, or slightly cheaper if purchased online or at 7-11 stores. Admission with Rapid Pass, which helps you skip the main lineups, costs between $65 and $105. In 2017 Fright Nights is open at 7 pm most days from October 6th to 31st.
- FlyOver Canada at Halloween – the popular multi-dimensional theatre attraction at Canada Place gets decorated and its shows have a Halloween theme from mid-October until Halloween. Tickets start at about $23 for adults and close to $15 for children ages 12 and under.
- VanDusen Glow in the Garden – lit-up carved pumpkins and Halloween activities at VanDusen Garden at night from October 24th to 31st in 2017. Cost is around $10 for adults, $8 for youth, seniors and garden members, and $6 for children ages 3-12.
- Potter’s House of Horrors – two exceptional haunted houses at 12530 – 72nd Avenue in Surrey running for most of October. Cost is between about $10 and $50 depending on your age, the date, whether you get a speed pass, and whether you want to go in just one house or two. “Family Time” features tamer horrors between 4:00 and 6:30 pm. Later in the evening the attraction is recommended just for teens and adults. Potter’s House of Horror’s is open every day in October except for Thanksgiving Monday.
- Halloween Spooktacular – Halloween activities at Britannia Mine between West Vancouver and Squamish on October 21-22 and 28-29.
Other Haunted Venues
- Click Vancouver Haunted Houses for a list of more spooky places in the Lower Mainland. Some of the best haunted houses include North Shore venues like the Haunt of Edgemont and Dovercourt Crypt, the Nightmare Haunted House in Mission, Brinkworth Dungeon in Langley, Anmore Manor just north of Port Moody, Reapers in Chilliwack and the list goes on and on!
- Ghostly Vancouver Tours – 90-minute walking tours of downtown Vancouver, Gastown and New Westminster where guides talk about each area’s history and past encounters with ghosts. Cost is $20.
- Haunted Vancouver Trolley Tour – evening tours for adults ages 19+ run Tuesday to Saturday from October 10th to 31st. They start in Gastown, go through Stanley Park and Shaughnessy, visit the Vancouver Police Museum and Mountain View Cemetery, and include the Dreamscape Haunted Virtual Reality Experience. Cost is $55.
- Grave Tales at Fort Langley – two and three-hour Halloween walking tours in Fort Langley. SOLD OUT!
- Forbidden Vancouver Walking Tours – Lost Souls of Gastown tours go through the city’s historic district in October, last about 90 minutes and cost around $25.
In addition to the above list, there is also a wide variety of other events and activities for people of different age groups, both on the big day of October 31st, as well as throughout the entire second half of the month.
Halloween Activities for Children
Check out Vancouver Children’s Halloween Activities for a list of other family-friendly and only-moderately-spooky fun.
Halloween Activities for Adults
Click Adult Halloween Activities for a list of Halloween events for people age 19+.
Other Activities in October
Interested in learning about other great activities in the month of October? Then check out the following: